We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is their such lodging?

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Is their such lodging?

A few years back, we had a family reunion at the YMCA of the Rockies, just outside of Winter Park, CO. The best explanation I can give is "it's a lot like church camp". It had our lodging, meals, and all activities contained their on site. Our families spent 3 days at the Y enjoying each other, never having to leave the property in search of something to do. They had horseback riding, an activity center/gym, bicycles, volleyball courts, hiking, etc.

Is their such a place in Tennessee? I've looked at various YMCA websites, and none of them seem to have lodging. Are their any resorts that might be of similiar make-up? One of the big pro's to the YMCA was that we didn't have to fix dinner nor did we have to clean up :)

Any suggestions to head me in the right direction is appreciated. We'd be looking for accommodations for about 30 to 50 people.

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is their such lodging?

Where about in Tennessee are you wanting to visit?

I think Pigeon Forge (Close to The Great Smoky Mountains) has some sort of group thing you might be looking for.There is also alot of Large Cabins for groups but I dont think none of them offer housekeeping and cooking but I could be wrong.

http://www.pigeonforgetours.com/

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Rincon Georgia
Level Contributor
830 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is their such lodging?

http://campsmoky.com/

This is a church camp/retreat in PF. I'm not sure if they do family reunion type retreats, but you could probably contact them and see. Or they might know of another place that does if they don't.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is their such lodging?

There's a Baptist youth camp with a retreat lodge that might work for you in Wears Valley. It's called Camp Ba-Yo-Ca and is operated by the Knox County Association of Baptists. I went there many times as a camper when I was kid but have only stayed in the camper cabins. The lodge was built years later so I have no experience with it. The camp web page is down but you can get contact info from the KCAB web site. I would suggest giving them a call.

www.kcab.org/templates/System/details.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Wears Valley
Wears Valley
Sevier County, TN
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is their such lodging?

There's also Camp Wesley Woods in Townsend. I had a few friends that went to this camp but I never went. They offer group retreats in one of two lodges.

www.campwesleywoods.com/index.php…

Mentioned in this post
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is their such lodging?

Those are all good places to start, thanks! We don't have a preference as to where we want to visit as the game plan is to spend a few days together at one location (what I'm looking for here) and then the different family units can do their own thing at other attractions if they choose to.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is their such lodging?

Here's another TN camp to check into:

http://www.campnakanawa.com/

A TN canoe club rents facilities at this camp for a long weekend every spring, but I don't know if they typically rent to family groups or what activities they might offer (plenty of lodging, though). The child of an acquaintance went there for summer camp as a kid; the owners have a good reputation locally.

My kids went to Wesley Woods for public school nature camps. It is very nice as well with plenty of lodging (including at least one large lodge with a kitchen), but again I don't know if they rent to individual families. Wesley Woods is very convenient to the Smokies and is located near Townsend, the "peaceful side" of the Smokies.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 21:40
Mentioned in this post
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is their such lodging?

http://www.gsmit.org/

Here's another link to look at. I noted that their calendar included several family weekends or events, but these may be more organized than what you're looking for--and the 2011 calendar looks pretty well booked up with school groups. But the location is great--right in the Smokies; our public schools also use it for multiday class trips.

8. Re: Is their such lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 06:20