We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

Hi folks,

I'm planning to head to Bonnarroo this year from the Northeast via car and I'd love to stop along the way to see some sights and/or grab some nice meals and stay a night in a cute town/city.

What are your suggestions for a nice place to stop?

A direct driving route for me takes me through Knoxville over to Manchester, TN. Would Knoxville be worth a stopover? Or should we head off the direct route and stop in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, or Nashville?

Appreciate any input! Thanks!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

I think you would have the most fun spending a few nights in Nashville. It's a great city with a lot of fun places to visit. Good luck.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

Knoxville is a great town, but I think that enjoying the beauty of the Smoky Mountains is best from the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville areas. There is just SO MUCH to choose from. It is about an hour away from Knoxville, though. Also, keep in mind that peak season for GB, PF and SV, starts next month. Town will be busy, as will activities and lodging facilities. Have fun! HTH.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

The Gatlinburg/ Smokey Mountain area is one major traffic jam for the next 6 months. You will waste more time sitting in traffic, trying to find a place to stay and to eat. Do not think it is what you are looking for.

The eastern part of Tennessee is the most beautiful. Rolling hills, mountains, farmlands, and the Tennessee River. The drive from Chattanooga to Nashville is so scenic. You might want to consider coming to Chattanooga for a day or 2. There is alot here. The city has grown up and offers beautiful scenery,a lively downtown waterfront area, much history, friendly people and good food. I will list some our most popular sights for you to read about. Come see us!!

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and there is a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen that is now a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

-------------------------------------

jacksonville...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

i am travelling from Florida to Michigan in 1 1/2 wks, just wondering where would be a good spot to stop in TN

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

Do any of the above suggestions help you? I would skip the Smokey Mountains. Will be a nightmare this time of year. If you are driving #75, Chattanooga is right on your way.

Please remember this is the beginning of Fall Festival time and leaf season. I would plan ahead.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

Both of you seem to have only one night to spare as a stopover in Tennessee. That being the case my advice would be Chattanooga, since you can drive directly to a good Downtown hotel within minutes of the interstate and access the TN Aquarium and beautiful riverside venues on foot and take clean and fast air ride electric busses to other famous attractions. Consider Lookout Mountain points of interest, Ruby Falls, Incline Railroad and lots of mountain scenery. These things are not so spread out that you can't hit several, with planning in a day or two.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

I second Chattanooga as a good stopover. There are plenty of things to do there. Besides the famous attractions and great scenery, there's a lot of fun places to eat and drink and shop in the waterfront area (both sides of the river). It's a great place.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

I second Chattanooga. It's a great city to visit. You can stay downtown and get back on the road easily. There's also some very nice hotels near the interstate. Enjoy your visit.

9. Re: Roadtrip through Tennessee... where to stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:17