We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

4 posts
Save Topic
Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

In late March I'm going to fly into Nashville and work my way down to Shiloh where I will be attending the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh, after Shiloh I will continue on to Memphis for a few days. Basically I'm looking for some authentic off the beaten path places to visit. I'm really into history, the outdoors and live bluegrass music, but want to avoid anything super touristy aside from Nashville/Memphis and the reenactment. Any suggestions of music venus, restaurants, or beautiful places to check out are greatly appreciated.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
824 posts
863 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

Not knowing your timeline, I'll just throw out an idea. Among your wants, you mentioned history, outdoors, authentic off the beaten path, and beautiful places. I suggest that you consider the following plan when you are ready to leave Nashville for Shiloh.

Eat breakfast at Loveless Cafe on Hwy 100 on the west side of Nashville. (Try the eggs, country ham, and biscuits.) Next to the cafe is the northern end of the Natchez Trace Parkway; jump on and enjoy a leisurely drive (no high speeds allowed). Stop at the parking area just before the parkway goes over Hwy 96 and pick up a brouchure of the stops and history along the parkway; check out the view from the bridge. If you want to view the bridge from Hwy 96, drop off and check the view (very nice if you like bridges). Drive back up on the parkway and continue south, stopping at places that interest you along the way. You'll find a nice mixture of history and nature. Be sure to stop at the Merriweather Lewis memorial. When you get to Hwy 64, exit the parkway, and head west on 64; this will take you to the town of Savannah. Just past Savannah, turn south on 22 to Shiloh.

When you are ready to leave Shiloh, travel south on 22 to go Corinth, MS -- it's a beautiful town, rich in history. Spend a few hours minimum, or spend the night before traveling Hwy 72W to Memphis.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

I like the above plan, but before you start your trip, read "The Widow Of The South" by Robert Hicks. Afterwards detour slightly to Franklin after your big breakfast at Loveless and tour Carnton and the adjacent cemetary before heading back down the Natchez Trace. thewidowofthe south.com

Edited: 16 January 2012, 03:47
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

Spend a night or two at Pickwick Lake Landing State Park near Shiloah. Enjoy your trip.

tn.gov/environment/parks/PickwickLanding/

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

While you are in Franklin, check out the Carter House as well as Carnton and the Confederate Cemetery and you really do need to check out Franklin if you are on the way to Shiloh.

5. Re: Tennessee Nashville to Shiloh to Memphis Roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:17