We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

Thinking about visiting Memphis for a few days this fall. Any ideas for a good place to stop midway on the way home to New Jersey? Also, Graceland is the major attraction for us, is it better to stay at the Days Inn to be close, or stay downtown for more things to do? Any suggestions are appreciated. We will have a car.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

Staying at a Graceland location is always an option for a true fan and Days Inn wouldn't rank moderately high in Trip Advisors' Memphis hotel rankings (19 of 134) if it wasn't satisfactory, but 8 of the top 13 are located Downtown due to close availability of good restaurants and attractions, sense of connection to "Ol Man River" (Catch a sunset over the Delta from a hotel rooftop while meeting guests and locals) and more services in general. Beyond walkability to known attractions you also have vintage trolley cars (an attraction in themselves) award winning tours on buses & Carriages and segway tours to help you avoid being corraled in one area. You can leave your car parked and catch free transportation to Graceland and Sun from Downtown, returning hourly all day. Along the way back to Jersey you have Asheville, N.C. with it's Biltmore Mansion, Charlottesville, VA with its Jeffersonian University of VA campus & Monticello or a secluded back to nature stop by a mountain peak on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Peaks Of Otter Lodge. (www.peaksofotter.com)

Have a fun trip!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

Thanks so much for your reply! I think I'm leaning toward staying downtown. We're actually going to Asheville on the way to Memphis, so I'll look into Charlottesville for the way back. Thanks again, I love Trip Advisor!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

I would stay downtown in Memphis. It's a short drive to Graceland. Be sure to visit the National Civil Rights Museum as well as the nice bars and restaurants on Beale Street.

Abingdon, VA is half way. Stay at the historic Martha Washington Inn.

http://www.marthawashingtoninn.com/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

Thanks axle! Abingdon looks interesting, I'm going to check it out.

5. Re: Where to stop midway to New Jersey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:40