We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One stop in Mountains?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
One stop in Mountains?

We will be traveling from Chicago to SC and would like to stop in TN along the way for about a half or full day. I am not interested in touristy spots but would rather enjoy the beauty of the mountains. What/where should we stop and do??

Fort Belvoir...
Level Contributor
171 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One stop in Mountains?

Well , you have Abrams Falls in Cades Cove. Townsend is nice too. You'd pretty much have to go right outside Pigeon Forge to get away from Touristy.

There's a covered bridge, swinging bridges.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One stop in Mountains?

Big Ridge State Park, a beautiful spot on Norris Lake in some gorgeous green rolling hills, rents cabins. Also you might want to inquire at Krystal's Clinch Mountain Cabins, 190 Lookout Mtn Rd, Thorn Hill: 865-767-2511, www. clinchmountainlookout.com

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One stop in Mountains?

Tennessee has many different mtn. chains besides those in the eastern part of the state. (which is where the ones mentioned by both posters are located) The GSMNP is very beautiful and the towns (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge) near them are very touristy. Several ways to get from Chicago to South Carolina by going through different parts of Tennessee but if this one is not to far off your path I would suggest Fall Creek Falls State Park, to me (and many others) its just as beautiful as the GSMNP. But not as populated. There is a huge waterfall, long swinging bridge, many trails/bike trails, big lake with rental cabins on the lake. They also have a hotel on the property (near the cabins & lake) Several other things to do and see there too. You can get more info on this state park (and all TN. state parks) at www.tn.gov Fall Creek Falls is located near the middle of the state, just south of I-40 and Crossville TN.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: One stop in Mountains?

You did not mention your specific route but I have two recommendations: Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area (crosses KY and TN) and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Email me with specific questions: kelstew@gmail.com

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One stop in Mountains?

Which part or where in Carolina are you headed to? The destination will dictate the best options for your mountain stop. So let us know if you are going to the upper Northwest corner of Carolina, mid-state or the coast.

6. Re: One stop in Mountains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16