We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us narrow our choices...

Delavan, WI
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help us narrow our choices...

We are planning a family vacation in August and would really like to "anchor" in one or two cities in Tennessee and take day trips. We have 4 teenagers and a 7-year old. We like history and culture. Any suggestions? We will be arriving on the 12th and only have until the 19th or 20th.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

If you want history and culture I'd say a few days in Memphis and the Nashville area would work. In Memphis...Mud Island, The National Civil Rights Museum, Sun Studio, Beale St, The Peabody Hotel, Graceland. Then Nashville...The Hermitage, Frist Center, Belle Meade Plantation, Ryman Auditorium, Adventure Science Museum, Carnton Plantation/Lotz House (Franklin), Jack Daniel's Distillery (Lynchburg). You'll easily be able to fill a week.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

On the South eastern end of the state you will find history surrounding the appalachian culture, early settlers that moved here from the colonies and the earlier original inhabiants of the area. The Museum of Appaliachian is located about 30 mins north of Knoxvile in Norris, TN http://museumofappalachia.com/; in Townsend is the Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center http://www.gsmheritagecenter.org/; the Little River railroad museum is right down the road in Townsend with the history of logging in the Smokies and the Smoky Mountain National Park has an interesting history including Cades Cove and Roaring Creek - two areas of preserved homesteads from the early 1800s. Good luck with your choice.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,223 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

I completely agree with Reaagansmom--we spent 4 days in Memphis, 4 days in Nashville, and a day driving in between.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

Split your time between Memphis and Nashville. Enjoy your trip.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

Galinburg and Pigeon Forge is okay. It is pretty much a tourest trap. There is the WonderWorks, the Titanic museum, NASCAR speedpark, puttputt (multiple ones), Ripleys Aquarium, Dollywood, Splash Country, etc. to do with something for everyone.

Nashville is okay and I've been a lot but I've never really found anything that exciting for kids or teenagers. I mean there is stuff but not that much.

I love Chattanooga. Very pretty. There is Hamilton Place, a two story mall. The Aquarium (very nice), the IMAX theater with a Ben and Jerry's nearby, and then there are all the different fountains to get soaked and play in. That was always fun for the kids. Also around there is the waterfront with the lake/river which you can have a good time on. Chattanooga is very nice and pretty, especially downtown. A lot to do. Great restaurants, etc.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

In Chattanooga there is also

-Lookout Mountain

-Ruby Falls

-Tennessee RiverPark

-Coolidge Park (fountains)

-Rock City

-CREATIVE DISCOVERY MUSEUM (that is the best)

-Lake (I'll attempt it) Winnepesauka

a lot to do there

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

Definitely see Chattanooga. Much to see and do for adults and children. Also consider Great Smoky Mountain National Park. You could stay in Townsend and spend a few days exploring the area. We've done both with our grandkids - everyone enjoyed the trip.

8. Re: Help us narrow our choices...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:15