We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving along the Mississippi River

Level Contributor
947 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving along the Mississippi River

I will be driving alone the Mississippi river this summer, I did post on the Road Trip,but I am also writing in each states that the river goes throught. I would like to know the places to stop/visit and also your favorite restaurants. I have been to Memphis and Nashville.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving along the Mississippi River

Not knowing your routes I can mention a couple of stops on the east side of the river off the beaten path, starting with Columbus, Ky. just north of the TN state line. There is a Battlefield state park there with a commanding view of the Mississippi from the high bluffs and a giant iron anchor and 100 feet of chain which was part of a lengthy barrier stretched across the river by the Union army to block Southern gunboats 150 years ago. South of there in Tennessee is shallow Reelfoot Lake formed by the movement of a sizeable earthquake causing the river to flow backward in 1811. It is covered with Cypress knees jutting out of the water and features American Bald Eagles sailing overhead. The Blue Banks Motel restaurant there has served fried Catfish for many decades. Even though you've been to Memphis, that's where you should go, maybe spending the night in order to find a large variety of notable restaurants. Two, Ristorante Iris and Flight, are amoung the top 100 in the nation list, and Chez Phillipe in the Peabody has just made the top 100 "Most Romantic" as well. Of course top notch smoked pork Barbecue abounds throughout the city. With your theme apparently being the Mississippi River, the sunset view from atop a Downtown Memphis hotel won't be matched anywhere on your trip.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 11:40
2. Re: Driving along the Mississippi River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:16