We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there many spiders in Tennessee?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Are there many spiders in Tennessee?

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Tennessee for a long summer trip in June.

My hatred for spiders is ever increasing and luckily here in the UK we do not get many spiders.

Does Tennessee have a large spider population? Are there any particular spiders I should look out for?

Are there things I can do to AVOID seeing any? When I see spiders I tend to have nightmares about them and lose sleep.

Probably unavoidable over in the states unlike here.

Any advice from spider know-ers would be appreciated, and any advice from people living in TN who also have fears of spiders would be great!

Thanks,

Nathan

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there many spiders in Tennessee?

I think we have a lot of spiders. Only 3 poisonous ones,the black widow, the brown recluse, and the lesser known brown widow. Learn to identify these spiders. The wolf spider looks a lot like the recluse. I have lived in Tennessee my whole life and only seen 3 or 4 poisonous ones. My wife and I have been bitten by several non poisonous spiders and barely noticed.

Give your clothes a quick shake before putting them on and tap out your shoes. Be observant if you go hiking.I highly recommend we have some of the prettiest trails I have seen in the US

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there many spiders in Tennessee?

I think we have a lot of spiders. Only 3 poisonous ones,the black widow, the brown recluse, and the lesser known brown widow. Learn to identify these spiders. The wolf spider looks a lot like the recluse. I have lived in Tennessee my whole life and only seen 3 or 4 poisonous ones. My wife and I have been bitten by several non poisonous spiders and barely noticed.

Give your clothes a quick shake before putting them on and tap out your shoes. Be observant if you go hiking.I highly recommend we have some of the prettiest trails I have seen in the US

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there many spiders in Tennessee?

Here's a couple of good articles on the Black Widow and Brown Recluse spiders that may help alleviate your fears. We see spiders every day here and most of us pay little attention to them. I live in the country so I see all types of spiders regulary including the Black Widow and Brown Recluse. If anyone in my family has ever been bitten we never knew it. I'm much more cautious of poisionus snakes in our area than of spiders.

emedicinehealth.com/spider_bite_brown_reclus…

emedicinehealth.com/black_widow_spider_bite/…

4. Re: Are there many spiders in Tennessee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:16