We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

My partner and I have recently purchased a 17ft campervan and are planning a 24 day trip around the South. We live in Montreal, Canada and we're in our early 30's. We like good food, music, culture and hiking/visiting National Parks.

Here is our itinerary so far. We still have a few days to play with and are looking for suggestions. We know there is a lot of driving and we're OK with that!

Charleston and Savannah are not on this list - we'll be doing that trip later on in the year.

Day 1: Montreal - Louisville

Day 2: Louisville - Nashville (taking in some towns along the Bourbon trail)

Day 3 - 4: Nashville

Day 5: Nashville - Memphis

Day 6 - 7: Memphis

Day 8: Memphis - Clarksdale

Day 9: Clarksdale - Natchez

Day 10: Natchez - New Orleans

Day 11 - 14: New Orleans

Day 15: New Orleans - Great Smoky National Park

Day 16 - 17: GSNP

Day 18: GSNP - Asheville

Day 19 - 20: Asheville

And we still have 4 days to play with.

We know we will miss the Kentucky Derby and the NO Jazz Fest but we have to be at work in May.

Where would you add extra days? Is there anything else we must see along the route?

Thanks for your help!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

You might try posting this in the road trips section. Personally, I think some of the days are too long. Montreal - Louisville is a long way to go in one day even in a regular car, let alone the extra stress of driving a campervan. You'll also need two days to get back from Asheville, especially if you want to take in any of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and most would probably advise splitting the NO - GSMNP drive into two as well. That would eat up the rest of your days.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
758 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

I agree with the above poster. Slow down and enjoy the USA! Day #1 thats a long drive and from New Orleans to GSMNP is another. Can't speak for Louisiana or Mississippi but Tennessee has a lot of great sites to see & visit and I'm talking about the whole state. Some of the sites: GSMNP and several other places/sites to see & do in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge & Townsend TN., Loretta Lynns Dude Ranch Waverly TN., Ruby Falls, Rock City Gardens, Tennessee Aquarium, Incline Railway and this is just a few in/near Chattanooga TN., Jack Daniels Distillery Lynchburg TN., Cumberland Caverns McMinnville TN., Fall Creek Falls State Park Pikeville TN. not to mention all the sites in Knoxville, Nashville & Memphis.

Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

If you like the National parks you might want to consider stopping at Mammoth Cave National park between Louisville and Nashville. you will drive right by it on interstate 65. if you are in good physical condition and enjoy an adventure try the "wild cave tour." if you enjoy hiking I would recommend spending way more time in gsmnp. There is so much to do and see in the surrounding area that one day just won't be enough.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

You should allow another day to GSMNP region, and one or more for Chattanooga.

5. Re: 24 Day Southern USA Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 06:17