We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather

carmarthenshire...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather

I am just beginning to plan a trip to the US for the first time. I would like to visit Memphis and |Nashville during December 2006.I wondered what the weather is like at that time of year temperatures etc.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
176 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

The weather here in middle Tennessee changes from day to day. We can have snow & ice one week and be in the 70's the next for this time of year. Check out this weather site wunderground.com or a local tv station

www.newschannel5.com/content/weather/ .

Before we ever go on vacation, about a week before we leave we turn a bedroom in a staging area for packing and check that area's local weather daily.

Hope this helps.

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

I would say Nashville averages Low 30's for the lows, low 50's for the highs. Memphis may be a couple of degrees higher. As for precipitation, we don't get much snow, mostly rain, unless it's cold, then look for ice.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

The average bad days will be cold rain above freezing or sunny in the 50s F. Otherwise, the other advice is true also. The worst month is usually January but you can't count on it. If there is ice or snow it won't last but a day or two.

carmarthenshire...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

Thanks to Tennessee Squire,volrichard and reinarubia for your replies and advice. Being English we are always obsessed by the weather and I imagined that the southern states would be quite warm and fairly reliable even in December.My partner is 60 in December and this holiday is to celebrate this by doing the whole Elvis thing. My partner has loved Elvis so Memphis,Tupleo and Nashville are musts.I would also like to visit New Orleans. We have about three weeksand are quite flexible about dates and length of stay.We would like to hire a car and drive and see places other than the obvious tourist attactions. |Any suggestions for an interesting tour that would take in 'real life' Unitied States as well as the above music attractions.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
759 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Check out the Nash Trash tour in Nashville. It will give you a good taste of the real South. I would also suggest trying some real authentic Southern food. Try Jack's BBQ, Monell's, or the Loveless Cafe. I love listening to English accents and how you call our "vacation" a "holiday". You "hire" a car, we "rent" them. I can almost hear it reading your post! We don't get to hear that often here. Maybe "ya'll" will like our accent as well. Just curious, do you have red eye gravy and grits in England?

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Here is a past thread where an English couple wanted advice on traveling the South for three weeks. Their trip was in the summer, however.

http://tinyurl.com/zetpr

Click on repster's name to see the answers he got in other forums also. Unfortunately he didn't come back and give us all a trip report about what he did. However, I believe you can get a good idea about what to do.

7. Re: Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 05:25