We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Best route

I would appreciate advice on the best route from Chattanooga to Townsend. Google maps has several suggestions. Which one is the most scenic? Thanks in advance.

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
962 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route

A fair balance of driving time/scenic is I-75 to Sweetwater, 68 over to 411; 411 north to 129, 129 to the foothill parkway; FHP to 321, then you are 6 miles from Townsend. Or stay off of I-75 entirely and go 411 all the way whch is a slower paced trip but only marginally more scenic .

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
631 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route

Concur with TN outdoorsman in part.

That said, I would recommend taking 75 to Cleveland exit 20 to Hwy 64 East to Hwy 411 North and once you cross the Little Tennessee River, then take a right East on Hwy 72 to intersection with Hwy 129 North to the Foothills Parkway where it is about 18 miles to Hwy 73 North to Townsend.

Recommended stops- try the Delano Farmers Market Amish market, Michael's for lunch in Etowah (located across from the Bi-Lo market), and Benton's Country Hams just north of Madisonville on hwy 411. Best salted country hams going.

3. Re: Best route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:16