We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 4/6-4/8: From Kerens to Fredericksburg

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 4/6-4/8: From Kerens to Fredericksburg

First I have to say that in all my life I have never seen the wildflowers looking so wonderful and amazing. As I drove along Hwy 84 between Fairfield and Waco, I kept wanting to pull over and just gawk. Fields and fields of bluebonnets and beautiful patches of mixes of paintbrush and evening primrose and yellow daisy types and little purple pink ones that I don't know that name (please don't tell my highschool botany teacher!). And when we drove down 16 south of Llano, part of the Willow City Loop, everywhere we looked it was amazing, especially the white poppies. OK- I have gushed enough.

We wandered along Main St. in Fredericksburg Friday afternoon and really enjoyed looking in all of the little shops. It was quite crowded in town, because of the Easter weekend I asssume. Had a beer at the Fredericksburg Brewery- wouldn't mind hanging out there with my husband sometime and watching the big screen TV. Had dinner at Der Lindenbaum- small place, only seats around 40 I would guess but great jager schnitzel and friendly service. My sister enjoyed her glu wine (sp?)

We stayed at the Rose Hill Manor in Stonewall, 15 miles from Fredericksburg. Everything that has been said on this forum is true- it was wonderful and so relaxing. Mind you- it was sleeting and snowing both Friday night and all day Saturday and that night- but we didn't care. My sister and I enjoyed our little cottage, sat and read, went over to the main house and had a fruit and cheese platter and wine. We ate the prix fixe dinner Saturday night and really enjoyed the variety of it. Not all of the dishes are something I would want again but I am glad we gave it a try, especially the tenderloin- wonderful. Breakfast was also good for a change of pace- I really enjoyed the eggs Benedict.

Sunday morning, we had to scrape ice off of the car before we left- what a special Easter Sunday memory! There are three llamas there and they didn't seem to mind the cold one bit. Saw lots of deer on the property as well. The views from Rose Hill are just beautiful.

Headed up 281 to Marble Falls. Had wonderful pancakes at the Bluebonnet Cafe. Not as many wildflowers along this route but still wonderful Hill Country scenary.

The whole trip was just terrific- I hadn't been down there in a long time but am so glad we finally had our "sister's weekend". Even if you just drive through the Hill Country, it is well worth the time.

Mentioned in this post
McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
757 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 4/6-4/8: From Kerens to Fredericksburg

I'm so glad you had a great time poodleone!! It's nice to get ideas of "where to next". :-) I love Stonewall, but have never stayed there; just stopped and bought peaches.

Did you continue on 84 past Waco? Or did you hop on I-35? I was wondering if you waved at me! (I wasn't here... I was enjoying sunny Miami Beach. What a shock to come home to snow!)

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 4/6-4/8: From Kerens to Fredericksburg

Hey, Owl! I jumped on 35 and met up with my sister in Georgetown. But I thought of you and others who have been so interesting and helpful on this forum. Glad you got the Miami sun before the Texas snow.

Mentioned in this post
3. Re: Trip Report 4/6-4/8: From Kerens to Fredericksburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 06:23