We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We leave on Sunday...

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
We leave on Sunday...

First, I just want to thank everyone for thier input on this forum. When my husband won a "free trip to Texas" from his company for his amazing success with the company in 2006, I said "Texas?" But after reading the forum and some travel guides, I must say I am SO excited to be visiting Texas! Here is our itinerary.....

Sunday, April 29- fly from SF to Austin, Texas. Pick up a car and drive to San Antonio. Once we check into our hotel, walk the Riverwalk and find a fun place to relax and have dinner.

Monday, April 30- spend the the day in San Antonio. Visit the Alamo.

Tuesday, May 1- drive through the Hill Country, visiting wineries and towns, and arriving at the Rosehill Manor (Thank you tripadvisor contributors!)

Wednesday, May 2- Drive through the Hill Country, visiting MORE wineries and towns until we arrive at Austin before dinner. Dinner with the company.

Thursday, May 3-Spend the day in Austin. Company has things planned.

Friday, May 4- Day to ourselves in Austin!

Saturday, May 5- Fly home at 3 pm so have the morning to ourselves.

What do you think?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Sounds lovely. Please, PLEASE post back and tell us all about it, good and bad. We don't get many trip reports on this forum and it would be so helpful! I hope you enjoy SA and Austin, two of my favorite cities.

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Hope you have a wonderful time! We hope you enjoy our state as much as we enjoy yours. This is a great time of year to visit, put a little Willie Nelson on and you can have the complete experience!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Can I come?

Just kidding. :-)

Weather forecast saying 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms Monday-Wednesday... you may want to pack a folding umbrella as insurance that it won't rain. As long as you have an umbrella, it won't rain. Otherwise, the weather should be GORGEOUS... We'll try to keep the bluebonnets blooming for you.

What routes will you be taking through the Hill Country? Or do you know yet? We may have some don't-miss recommendations.

I read on another post that the bats are in Austin already. If you're interested in a unique Austin experience, try to take those in. It sounds weird, but it's truly amazing.

And where is the company dinner in Austin?

Okay... I'm just being nosy now. LOL. Have a wonderful trip! Post back with your likes/dislikes!

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Thanks for your input! I promise I will post a trip report. Since I get so much out of other people's reports, the least I can do is the same....

Owlb4, THUNDERSTORMS? Hummmm..... Good thing you told me that! I would not have packed an umbrella. How warm is it? Right now it is in the low 70's in beautiful Santa Cruz. Is it similar or warmer? Also, we are going to "The Belmont" on Wednesday night and "III Forks" for a formal affair on Thurday night, according to the Itinerary the company sent out. Does anyone know of those places?

And we will be going to see the bats on Friday night.... Please keep the flowers blooming until we get there....

Thanks Everyone!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Sounds awesome!

Here's a thread about III Forks:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30196-i229-k82093…

And the website:

www.iiiforks.com/location.php?c=1&n=0&g=0

The Belmont's website:

http://www.thebelmontaustin.com/

and a 12/2006 review from the Austin paper:

austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/review…

Yum!! For a very different experience, try Chuy's. :-)

Don't worry about the thunderstorms. Isolated thunderstorms here in Texas come and go pretty quickly. The temperatures in the Hill Country are supposed to be ranging from high 60's for the daily lows to mid 80's for the daily highs.

Weather.com can give you updated information... zip codes are 78624 for Fredericksburg, 78205 for San Antonio, and 78701 for Austin. Good luck!

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Owl84, thanks again for all the great info you have been sending my way. I appreciate it. From what I have read on the Austin forum, Chuy's is a must do. But I have also read that people have waited for a table for TWO HOURS! Auck! Since our only night by ourselves is Friday night, should we even try it? Would Saturday lunch be better? What would be a good time to go and NOT wait in line.... 4 pm on Friday? Actually that might not be a bad idea.... 4pm early dinner (with many margarita’s of course!) at the Barton's Springs Chuy's and afterwards walk to the river (to sober up) and watch the bats. What do you think?

Thanks again!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We leave on Sunday...

I think Friday at 4pm would be better than Saturday lunch. I've been there Saturday at about 3:00pm and had to wait 30 minutes... it's a very popular place to go on weekends. My guess would be that it'll be crowded Friday at 4pm, but not as bad as Saturday at lunch. A two hour wait at that time, sure. I can imagine that!

There are tables where you can sit while you wait (if you're lucky enough to get one) and have drinks and at least chips, possibly appetizers. I think you could be out of Chuys and to the Congress Avenue bridge by sundown.

Locals - please correct me if I'm wrong!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We leave on Sunday...

Linlo mentioned Willy Nelson, so maybe try to find Luckenbach!! Not easy, close to Fredericksburg. Merlady, we stayed in the Austin/SA/Hill Country area for 8 days back in 2005 and had lots of fun. Great area. Now we are coming back this year and will spend some more days. Have a great trip! I don't know if someone else has mentioned it but don't forget a visit to Gruene.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We leave on Sunday...

My favorite wineries I'd recommend--

Mandola Estate Winery- http://www.mandolawines.com/

Becker Vineyards- http://www.beckervineyards.com/

Driftwood Vineyards- http://www.driftwoodvineyards.com/

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We leave on Sunday...

oops, I just realized you are already in Texas. :-)