We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Our (long awaited) trip to NYC fell apart, so we're going to Dallas to regroup and rest. I found a great price on Travelzoo for the Omni Mandalay and just checked it out here on TA and found NOTHING!

Which gives me pause....Anyone know anything about this hotel? And the restaurants around it? Shopping? Clubs?

Help!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

You will need to look under Irving, not Dallas. Las Colinas is an area of Irving that can be loosely described as a planned community. It includes several upscale hotels (Omni, Four Seasons, where the Byron Nelson golf tournament is played, Wyndham), smaller chain hotels, corporate offices, chain restaurants, upscale homes. For shopping, you will need to drive to one of the malls- I'd go with the Galleria. There is a canal which was envisioned as a riverwalk but it has not thrived. I have had lunch at the Omni- it is very nice with a great pool area and a spa.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Thanks for the response. We will check out the Galleria and nice to know that lunch is a plan for the Omni.

I posted this under "Texas" not Dallas. I did just check out the "irving" Forum and there is a total of 6 posts on that Forum with 3 total answers so that isn't very thriving, I'm sorry to say!

I was spoiled for choice with NYC being such a busy forum - I think I thought that would be the case around Dallas, also. Ah well.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Here are reviews for the Omni:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56032-d109052-…

None recent, but looks like people like it.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Thanks Pepper for the URL. Like you said, not recent, but positive!

Now if we can find something to do and somewhere to eat in the area on this cloudy/raining weekend! I've got to make a miracle happen as my dh is lower than a snake's belly.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

It really is better to post under Texas on TA rather than most individual cities. For such a big state, this just isn't that diverse a forum. I guess it did sound like I meant "Irving" on this forum- I meant Irving on any search for info. Some folks don't realize that Dallas doesn't cover the entire North Texas region. ;-)

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Well, we went, we saw, we enjoyed and we returned.

I wanted to add my impressions to help out anyone else looking in this area.

First of all, we had a HUGE bargain from travelzoo dot com for the Omni Mandalay. This is the hotel that used to be the Four Seasons Mandalay - Brian Nelson's stompin' grounds during his gold hey-day. It was by the Mandalay canal - supposed to be a San Antonio Riverwalk deal, but alas, it's come to a roaring halt with some empty buildings. What a waste. But a beautiful walk - black swans in a pond, etc etc.

The price was $99 a night, including their $16 buffet breakfast (and tax and tip) What a deal. You could upgrade to a suite for $15 more.

One night we ate at the "Blues Club" in Grapevine after a glowing recomendation. Big mistake - band kept waiting for another member, and never played during the 3 hours we were there. The food was just ok. We ordered appetizers, salads, one entree, desserts and tasted everything. (3 of us) It was expensive for the quality and a $4 charge added because we shared everything. So mickey mouse.

We ate the Omni one night and it so did outshine the other. Price was actually less - mojito bar was in place and you could choose ingredients - great piano background in the back - quesadillas were great as were signature sandwiches.

The Outlet Mall was 10 minutes away and the Corner Bakery was a fun place to have a bite for lunch.

The Arborateum (sp?) looked great, but too rainy.

We'll go back for another lazy weekend.

Hope this helps!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

Sounds like a great trip and a great rate.

The Four Seasons and the Omni are two different hotels.The Four Seasons is on Macarthur Blvd- that's where the Byron Nelson golf tournament is played. The Omni Mandaly is on Las Colinas Blvd.

8. Re: Unexpected Weekend Trip to Dallas? Las Colinas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 07:18