We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas triangle

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Texas triangle

My husband and I, both in our late 30's, are including 3 destinations in Texas as part of our September road trip from Canada. We'll be stopping in Colorado City, San Antonio, and Maud. We know this covers alot of ground, but we'd like to learn about what routes to take, and what sights to see along the way. We like stuff that's off the beaten path, good restaurants and authentic shopping. We'll probably be coming to Texas from Phoenix and leaving northwest to go home. Got any good tips for us?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,960 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas triangle

From Amarillo to Lubbock take I27

At the termination of I27 take Hwy 84 towards

Slaton and Post, drive until Snyder and you will take 208 to Colo. City. From Colorado City to

San Antonio I would suggest traveling through Robert Lee, Bronte, Ballinger, Eden, Menard and then hit I10 abd that will take you into Kerville and then San Antonio

=====

in brief,

Amarillo, the famous Cadiilac Ranch

roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXAMAcadillac.ht…

if you happen to be staying over at some point, you might consider Amarillo.Starging June 2 there is the outdoor musical production/drama "TEXAS" that is performed in Palo Duro Canyon.

http://www.texas-show.com/

---------

in Lubbock, the Buddy Holly Museum

http://www.buddyhollycenter.org/

before Kerville on I10 you could take a short side trip to Fredricksburg TX. originally a German settlement and only a few miles down the road from there is the famous Luckenbach Dance Hall

www.luckenbachtexas.com

If you were to continue further east of Freds.you can visit LBJ ranch and his childhood home.

between SA and Austin there is Gruene Tx that

has the oldest dance hall and Texas and is located on the Guadalupe River

www.gruenetexas.com

in the general direction of Austin is Luling and Lockart. Both places are known for their BBQ joints.

if you arrive SA via I10 there is brand new shopping as you enter SA. The Shops of La Cantera (near Six Flags)has Nieman Marcus,Macy's, Nordstroms, Apple etc. There is also a new Bass Pro Shop with numerous shops as well on the opposite sideof the freeway.

..also, uponing entering SA from the northwest side, there is Rudy's BBQ at the Leon Springs exit, very Texana..a bbq pit and a gas station combined.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas triangle

If you are coming in from Phoenix on I-10, then it makes sense to hit San Antonio first. From there, you can take a couple of different routes to get to Maud, depending on what you want to see along the way. You can go North-East from San Antonio and hit some of the BBQ towns that tejashombre mentioned -- Lockhart and Luling, then Brenham (a small town that is home to Blue Bell ice cream and lots of Texas history), Huntsville, Nacogdoches (a cute little college town), Carthage, Jefferson (great antique shopping), and then up 59 to Maud. This will be a long drive on mostly 2 lane roads, but you'll definitely be off the beaten path and you'll see a lot of real Texas. From Maud, the most direct route to Colorado City is to take I-30 to Dallas, then hit I-20, go through Abilene and Sweetwater to Colorado City. From there, you can head back up and out of Texas through Lubbock and Amarillo.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas triangle

You guys are awesome! That's exactly the kind of info we were looking for. Thanks!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas triangle

Just for the insatiably curious... how did you decide on Colorado City and Maud?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas triangle

My husband has friends in each place, and I've just always wanted to see Texas. Why? What am I getting myself into?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texas triangle

I think Owl asked, and I was also wondering, because Colorado City and Maud especially are incredibly small towns with not much going on. They are definitely off the beaten path and you'll see parts of Texas that most visitors do not. San Antonio is more of a tourist-friendly town though, with lots of attractions (the Alamo, missions, River Walk, etc.) and good restaurants.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Texas triangle

LOL - yes, MrTed has it right! My apologies for unnecessarily worrying you. :) I didn't realize you were visiting people; I thought you were being tourists and I was mildly take aback; I couldn't imagine that Maud and Colorado City were vacation destinations for Canadians. LOL

But in the case that you're visiting friends, I think you'll have a wonderful trip.:)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Texas triangle

I was just kidding, guys! I know our friends will show us a good time, and any Texan I've met here in Canada was a friendly, genuine person...so I'm really looking forward to this trip.

westtexas
Level Contributor
176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Texas triangle

If you go through Abilene, stop at Frontier Texas Museum, very good for all ages

10. Re: Texas triangle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 13:16