We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laid back uncommercial travel in texas

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
laid back uncommercial travel in texas

going to visit family in dallas area but want to chill out in texas for bit on our own (1 adult, 5 year old). looking for very low-key places to visit / stay for longer periods - we'll be doing nasa etc. san padre sounds so great in theory but the images make it to be the opposite of what we need. can anyone recommend places that would be a little off the beaten track but worth the accessing.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

You did not mention as to when - but during the summer months Houston and South is hot and humid. Dallas is not too humid. If you want to chill out I would try places in the Hill Country - both cooler and very laid back - places like Gruene (pro Green), Fredricksburg, New Brunsfells etc. The hill country is generally SW of Dallas. Austin is also a nice place but it is not as low paced as it used to be and with the 5-yr old night life is out.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

ok. many thanks for info - will check. have heard its hot! where i live the roads melt in summer (napier, hawkes bay, nz) so am hoping we will survive and even have fun

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

Some low key places south of Houston and Galveston along the coast and an old fashioned beachtown Port Aransas, but not always low key here. We are thinking of snowbirding along the Gulf coast in a couple of years. Btw, we stayed several days in Napier some years ago and enjoyed!

Tet

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

It sounds like you want to be on the coast.

The really laid-back places along the Gulf are not developed for tourists. For instance, one of my favorite towns, Palacios, would be perfect for hiding out for a while and is close to a beach, but really has nothing in the way of rentals or motels.

You can try Brazoria. It's an old town and has become somewhat of a suburb of Houston, but is still pretty nice. Several B&Bs there and there should be some rental places along the San Bernard.

Then there's Surfside or Quintana, but those are fairly undeveloped for tourists as well.

But the far west end of Galveston Island is still pretty low-key. You can generally rent places out there by the week, and you can get spectacular deals in the winter. Failing that, look across the bay on the Bolivar Peninsula: Crystal Beach to High Island.

Keep in mind that Padre Island (and, especially, South Padre) is a pretty far drive from both Dallas and Houston, where NASA is located.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,946 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

hey tet14..see you on the amsterdam forum all the time..

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

Hi Steve, Not that often on the Amsterdam forums but you are!! AMS is my birth town but I'm already away for 35 years...It has changed.

Joydot, I agree with Colin about Palacios. As I wrote in my diary: "There's nothing...." But you'll find all amenities in Port Lavaca.

Tet

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

Well if you want low key I'm assuming that can mean "laidback". Think Willie Nelson. That means the Hill Country. In and around Austin. Lots to do in Austin. Just touring the capitol, strolling town lake, getting into the vibe of South Congress, having bbq at the County Line, watching the sun go down at the Oasis, catching a cruise on the lake, taking a swim at Barton Springs.

How about visiting caves in the area. Natural Bridge Caverns and the Caverns of Sonoma are the most dramatic.

Nothing wrong with seeing animals from around the world at the YO Ranch and Natural Bridge drive through.

Touring the 22 or so wineries in the area.

Touring the areas west and southwest of Kerrville, seeing the "Stonehenge" of Texas, driving the "Twisted Sisters" around Leakey, walking through

Garner State Park and Lost Maples state park.

Tubing the Guadalupe River or canoeing the Frio or Sabinal rivers.

Simply finding a neat little restaurant on a backroad or grabbing a brew at a country ice house and watching the sun go down, maybe even in Luckenbach.

Did I mention great golf, water sports, and resorts

There's a reason Texan's love the Hill Country. Maybe it's time you learned why.

8. Re: laid back uncommercial travel in texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 21:18