We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Football games???

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
School Football games???

Hi I will be in Texas - Dallas area for 5 nights from 18th November. We would love to see some college or school sports games particularly football. We want to see the marching bands, crowds, car park party things etc. Is this after the season or will there be anything on?

Thanks

Raina

Canberra Australia

Nacogdoches, Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School Football games???

If you want to see a College Football game the two largest schools in the Dallas area are Southern Methodist (SMU) and Texas Christian (TCU). It looks like TCU plays on Nov. 22. They play in Ft. Worth about an hour drive from downtown Dallas.

Another option that I would recommend would be to look into see a High School football game. That time in November is the playoffs and there will be several games played in the Dallas area on Thursday and Friday nights. Here you can see all the marching bands, cheerleaders, and stuff. The kids are mostly 16-18 and a year or so way from college. This will give you your "Friday Night Lights" experience.

Playoff Game schedule will not be out until the week before the games. The best way to find a game is to look in the local newspaper when you get to Dallas. The teams in class 4A and 5A divisions will be the larger schools.

Have fun and let me know if you have questions

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School Football games???

Here's the TCU schedule:

…cstv.com/sports/…tcu-m-footbl-sched.html

Really try to hit a high school football game. I am sure that you would find it much more enjoyable. During that time of year on Saturday, you may be able to catch 2 or 3 games in one day at Texas Stadium where the Dallas Cowboys play on Sunday's. This is the last year the Cowboys will play there so you'd be able to say you were there while it was still home to the Cowboys!

Have fun!

westtexas
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Football games???

Absolutely!!! high school football is the best!! so much fun. Texas stadium is the best way to see 3 or 4 games in one day. However, during high school playoffs, when you go for "all day games" go early, because they never have time to clean the stadium, and by the middle of the day, the sitting areas are gross. Its a wonderful place( texas stadium) and well worth the trip, but be prepared for her too look a little worn. I would suggest getting there early, and staying put in your spot. or just find a good night time matchup ( bring warm clothes, and noisemakers!) the Birdville stadium is really nice. the home side has "armed chairs" in the middle, and a big replay screen scoreboard, fun to play there.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School Football games???

I think you would enjoy a college football game. TCU-Air Force on 11/22 should be a good one. The TCU stadium is a good place to see a game, the crowd will be large and you'll have a good college band and cheerleaders for entertainment. Do the tailgate thing before the game, then after the game go to the Stockyards and Billy Bob's for the evening. That would be a fun day.

www.fortworthstockyards.org

www.billybobstexas.com

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School Football games???

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info it's great. Self and 18yo love the football movies - Titans, Drum Major, Smallville stuff etc and want to see it. we love the idea of the tailgating, cheer leaders and marching bands. - Loved your mnarching band that feeatures at our Olympic Opening in 2000!!!!!!!! we will be a bit lost with the football but oh well.... we will get the gist of it! LOL

We will be in town the nights of 18,19,20 and 21 November. That would include a Wednesday and a Friday.

Does anyone know of any actual games on during this time? or any sites that I could go to for info?

Thanks so much.

We both think this will be so much fun and much more in our budget that an NBL game.

Thanks Raina

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School Football games???

if you're not going to be in texas for five nights but only four then you'll need to do as previously advised in the first reply and check the local newpapers for high school playoff games as that schedule will not be available until that time

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School Football games???

Less than 100 miles south will be the Texas A&M at Baylor University game(WACO, TX)

Nacogdoches, Texas
Level Contributor
108 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School Football games???

A high school playoff game will defiantly fit your budget, no more than 10-15 us dollars. Texas Stadium would be a great place to see a high school game. You will get to see an NFL stadium and not have to day NFL prices. There should be games there on Friday night and for sure that Saturday all day long. Like I said, just check the newspapers anytime after the Sunday before you arrive to get game times. Also check on-line at dallasnews.com

Have fun!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School Football games???

tejashombre -

Thanks for thinking of us, but the Baylor/A&M game is the weekend before the OP gets here. :) They'll arrive on the 18th, the game is on the 15th.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School Football games???

Hi, I'm back again. Does anyone know of any games on tomorrow night....Friday 21st Nov? in the Fort Worth Area?

Thanks Raina