We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with an infant

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with an infant

I am planning to take a trip around the 12th of Dec with my husband, mom, brother and my 9-month old infant. I need suggestions- if I should stay in Austin or San Antonio, are these towns baby-friendly etc etc. I am planning on a 3 -4 night total vacation, and will be flying from FL. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,691 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with an infant

the only thing I can imagine is that it may not be alot of fun to manuever a stroller on the riverwalk during peak times..

Austin has more hiking, biking water activites..

a younger population.

San Antonio does have a good zoo, Sew World..very stroller friendly...

I suppose either one is just as "baby-friendly" as cities in Florida

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with an infant

Thanks for the info! How far are these? Is it easier to stay in a hotel in Austin, and drive to SA or vice versa? Or does it make more sense to spend 2 nights in Austin, and 1 in SA?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,691 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with an infant

I think downtown San Antonio will have more to see and do in a smaller radius. I also think you will enjoy the riverwalk being lit up with Christmas lights. If you stay downtown, then you really would not need your car until you're ready to leave SA.

The edges of Austin and San Antonio are about an hour apart. The Austin airport is on the south side which is nearest SA. Have you checked airline prices yet? It seems Austin can sometimes be cheaper...there is more competition between Southwest and America West.

In between Austin is Gruene TX.

I would suggest taking an hour or two off the freeway and visit this area. An old German settlement with Texas dancehall, general store, wine tasting and a restaurant that is terrace over the Guadalupe river.

www.gruenetexas.com

www.gristmillrestaurant.com

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with an infant

Thanks for the info! Looking at tickets too, seems like its cheaper to fly into Austin. Definitely, will visit the little town.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with an infant

Here's something in New Braunfels that you might find fun with a little one:

http://www.mckennakids.org/default_flash.aspx

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with an infant

Is that in SA? It looks cute! Wonder if its for a bit older kids?

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
726 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with an infant

I'm sorry. :) I wasn't very thorough (*blushes*). New Braunfels is a town between San Antonio and Austin, and a stone's throw from Gruene (recommended above). That's why I thought about suggesting the Children's Museum.

Yes, it's mostly for older kids, but they have the Tot Spot which would be good for your 9-month old. I was trying to think of stimulating places (that would be EASY with a baby) and remembered that one. Babies have this thing about not being stuck in strollers/carseats for hours on end at that age (if I remember correctly - LOL).

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with an infant

Didn't know these 2 towns even existed between SA and Austin- Is there any bed-and-breakfast thats friendly for infants in SA or is hotel a better option?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,691 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with an infant

in Gruene there is www.gruenemansioninn.com

the typical chain hotels are in New Braunfels in

case staying in between SA/AUS becomes an option.

Hampton Inn, La Quinta etc

also in New Braunfels is Oma's Smokehouse for

lunch or dinner.

http://www.omashaus.com/

sort of a Craker Barrel look/feel

there is a Rudy's BBQ in New Braunfels (as well as 3 locations in SA, area of Sea World, Six Flags and horse track)..yummy turkey breat and creamed corn. A mixture of a smokehouse and gas station.

meat is served on butcher paper/ eat there or make your own picnic..

http://rudys.com/menus/index.html

---------

one of the biggest outlet strip malls is just outside San Marcos.. just an FYI (I am not an outlet shopper)

gainesville,Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with an infant

Gruene inn looks great! I am a vegetarian, but thanks for the info. So, if I land in Austin, is it worth spending a night there at all, or a day trip will cover everything, esp since Gruene and SA look more interesting.