We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom and 3 kids - need ideas for short 4th of July trip

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mom and 3 kids - need ideas for short 4th of July trip

This will be the first time I take the kids on vacation myself, so I want to go somewhere I don't have to hold their hands or shield their eyes every second. They are ages 7-9. We are a couple of hours east of Dallas, and I'd like to keep the drive within 5-6 hours if possible.

Some ideas I've had are:

1 - Great Wolf Lodge - although we've done this twice in the last year. The kids love it, but I was thinking something different might be good

2 - Galveston - I used to live further south on the coast and remember the beaches being pretty rough - ugly water, trash, skeevy people sometimes. Is Galveston like that? Will it be super crowded? The kids have only been to Myrtle Beach as far as beaches go.

3 - Something like the Hyatt Hill Country - pools, lazy river, movies on the lawn, smores, geared for kids and families, just hanging at the hotel.

We don't want to spend a ton of money, but we're not limited to uper 8 either. Any ideas?

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom and 3 kids - need ideas for short 4th of July trip

I've taken my kids to the Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop. That was very similar to the Hyatt Hill Country but much closer for you. :)

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom and 3 kids - need ideas for short 4th of July trip

I'm not a resort kind of guy so my suggestions are things to go and see and do.

Shlitterbahn in New Braunfels

Zip Line in Wimberly

San Antonio - Sea World, Six Flags, Natural Bridge Caverns / Drive thru Safari, Zoo, Children's Museum, Witte Museum

Galveston would be low on my list, although NASA is on your way there.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom and 3 kids - need ideas for short 4th of July trip

We've stayed at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort, and it's nice. I think your kids would have a lot of fun in Galveston. The beaches are a lot cleaner than they used to be; you can also visit Moody Gardens and the Schlitterbahn there. Your kids would love it. The Spot is our favorite place to grab a good burger. San Antonio has a lot to do with the Alamo, Sea World, taking the barge tour, etc. I think your kids would be happy with any of those choices.

4. Re: Mom and 3 kids - need ideas for short 4th of July trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 06:17