We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach trip in february

asheville
1 post
Save Topic
beach trip in february

I'll be taking a road trip to the Texas coast in February. Wondering what kind of weather I can expect and if camping on the beach will be an option. Also want to know what the differences are between South Padre Island and further north around Corpus Christi. Looking to have quiet time on a nice beach without too many people.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach trip in february

We visted the Texas Coast near Corpus a few years ago. There is a Texas State Park called Mustang Island nearby. Give them a call and ask them questions.

There were few people on the beach BUT there were lots of blue jellyfish washed up on the beach-- they sting and we were afraid to get into the water.

Lots of trash had also washed up on the beach.

I hear that the south coast is in better condition. I do not know that for a fact but south Padre Island gets lots more traffic so I suspect that's where the money goes for upkeep.

Good traveling.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach trip in february

The only clean beaches are around S. Padre. Port Aransas usually has a bunch of red seaweed all over the place and the water at Galvestion is always "muddy" because of the bays and rivers draining into the area from Texas and La. It will be too cold to swim anyway.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach trip in february

South Padre is snow bird city in the winter when its population swells with all those Minnesotans, etc.! It's pretty and the water is nice--that'd be your best bet. The weather is very iffy in February further up the coast (i.e Galveston) where it could be 90 or it could be 40 degrees.

Email their tourism website for tons o' info.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach trip in february

There are several state parks along the Texas coast that allow tent or RV camping. Galveston Island State Park is a few miles outside of the city of Galveston. It is right on the beach and is fairly quiet. Also, as mentioned earlier, Mustang Island has a state park. Mustang Island is off the coast of Corpus Christi.

The drive to South Padre is quite a distance from Corpus Christi. Since this section of the coastline is a National Seashore, only primitive camping is allowed. You can check the Texas Parks & Wildlife internet site and check out the parks I mentioned earlier. The State of Texas will mail you a 2005 State Travel Guide if you request one at www.TravelTex.com.

Have fun!