We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Hello,

My partner and I are in very early stages of planning our trip of a lifetime! We are in our late twenties and first up we plan to fly to Dallas. We would like to hire a car and road trip to Memphis stopping in the following places along the way - Austin, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Jackson, Memphis.

Most importantly? We are heading to Texas to go to a Cowboys game, and we wouldnt mind checking out an Ole Miss game while we are in Mississippi. We both love sightseeing, eating out, culture, music and history.

I mainly need advice on how long this road trip would take, how many days should we stay in each place? Also, is there any MUST SEE places along that route that I may have missed?

I know thats a tall order but any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
227 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Since you are ending in Memphis, I would suggest going to Nashville as well, especially since you like music. In Memphis, go to Beale St. and Graceland of course.

I would like to know why you want to fly into Dallas? It is the most northern out of the cities in Texas that you are looking at. I would consider flying into Houston and going north. If at all possible, I would consider adding Fredricksburg to the list. It is close to San Antonio and is in the beautiful hill country.

As for time, with the places you want to visit, the least amount of time I would set for the road trip is three weeks. Of course, the more the better!

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions on hotels and attractions I could answer.

pinkvalise.blogspot.com

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

What's the time frame for your trip? If it's October, you could visit the State Fair of Texas in Dallas http://www.bigtex.com/sft/ I have no experience with getting Cowboy game tickets, but I understand they can be hard to find. In addition to Ole Miss, you'll find college football teams several places on your route including SMU in Dallas, TCU in Ft. Worth, and UT in Austin. SMU might be the easiest ticket to get.

Here's a list with some of the highlights of cities you'll be visiting in Texas tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr… I would plan on around five days in Dallas and Ft. Worth. If your return flight is from DFW, perhaps visit one of the cities at the beginning and the other at the end of the road trip. Allow five-six days for Austin, the Hill Country and San Antonio which you can allocate according to your interests. Then at least two nights in Houston, three for New Orleans, two for Memphis. Plus Jackson and travel time. So I agree that 3 weeks is what you need. If you have longer than that, you could venture out to West Texas to Big Bend country which is very beautiful. You would need five days for that including two days for driving to-from San Antonio. www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/special.htm

In Mississippi, the Vicksburg battlefield is well worth a detour. It was the site of a major victory by the Union in the US Civil War. The self-drive tour takes a couple of hours minimum.

Rijsbergen, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Hi there, i am Vanessa from the netherlands and i am going to do the Same route with my husband and parents and two chlidren with à rv. Flying to Dallas and fromMemphis back home.And i am looking for people how can help me and give advise. When you think you can/want to help me please sent me an email on fam.moerings@home.nl

I Will check this site to and hope to know everything about things to do for the kids but also for my parents and ourselfs.And the places to go to.

So if you are from somewhere you think its worth to go to please tell me because i want to go to places wich are not so touristic to.sorry for my bad wrichting but spekking is much more easy.

Thanks

Kansas
Level Contributor
301 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

I have done Kc to Memphis to New Orleans to Galveston to San Antonio to Austin to Dallas to KC before. I did it quickly in around 7 days to sample various road food along the way...BBQ in Texas...lots of it. If you are looking for some BBQ stops let me know and I will point the way.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Post on road trips forum for great info.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Welkom op het forum Vanessa.

Please do as PeachBelle has suggested

Here's a link to the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Also please tell us how long you have for this trip and what time of year you are coming.

It's not a good idea to put your e-mail address on any forum.

Tet

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Vanessa, we understand you very well. How many days do you have for this trip? There is much to see in Dallas-Ft. Worth before you head to Tennessee. It depends upon your interests and time. The Stockyards historic district in Ft. Worth has Billy Bob's Texas honky tonk, the longhorn trail drive and the rodeo on the weekend, not to mention the many shops and restaurants. http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/ In Dallas, the arts district and 6th floor museum are notable. The Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Center are excellent.

Here's a link to a tour around Texas. You may not have the time for all of it, but you can get an idea of things to see and do in Texas cities. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr… If your interests include history, you would enjoy a visit to San Antonio, home to the Alamo and also the beautiful and enjoyable Riverwalk. http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

Rijsbergen, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Thanks for the help i am checking it now.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

Check out Lockhart for BBQ! You won't be disappointed. BBQ tour, anyone?

lockhart-tx.org/web98/…bbqcapitaloftexas.asp

10. Re: Road Trip - Dallas to Memphis - Help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:17