We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach vacation

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
beach vacation

Hi. What beach area would be good for a vacation spot. Never been to Texas and this will be 2 moms just wanting to enjoy the beach, shop and tourist attractions. Any ideas would be great!! Thanks.

los angeles
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: beach vacation

Corpus Christi Texas is really nice. The Padre Island National Seashore is there and the national park is virtually empty except during spring break. Even then most of the kids are NOT in the national park .....they are all over the other parts of the island. We stayed in downtown Corpus and had a great view of the harbor from our room. You would need to rent a car. There is a small town Port Aransas on the north end of the island...lots to see there. The beaches inside the National Seashore are pristine. I am a native Texan and now live in So. California. We were there last year. I love it. Have a good time where ever you end up!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach vacation

kooledjukater-Thanks for the information. Actually Corpus Christie was the one town I had thought about!!

Ohio

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach vacation

Hi! As a Corpus resident, and would recommend not staying in downtown Corpus if you're main objective is enjoying the beach. It's quite a drive out to the National Seashore from there (minimum 30 minutes). Stay on North Padre Island (which is still considered Corpus, but is way on the end of it) or in Port Aransas. Port Aransas also has some cute little shops and great restaurants. You can also take the ferry from Port A across the ship channel and drive to Rockport, which has even more cute shops. Corpus does have the Texas State Aquarium and the Lexington Museum, which are both big tourist attractions.

If you want to stay in Corpus, try the Corpus Christi Beach area. It's just across the bridge from downtown, but it does have a beach. That's where the aquarium and Lexington are.

A thing about the beaches...Corpus is on the bayfront, so the few beachy areas we have are small and the waters are very calm. The better beaches and waters are on North Padre and Mustang Islands.

Now, shopping in Corpus...what type of shopping do you want? Gifts? Boutiques? I'd be glad to recommend some places! But I have to tell you, our malls are pathetic. I'd say at least half the stores in Sunrise Mall are closed. Very depressing. Padre Staples Mall is better, but not great.

We spend a lot of time in Port A and Rockport, as well as on North Padre, so if you decide to head down this way, re-post here and I'll be glad to give you more specific recommendations!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach vacation

I think the prettiest Texas beach is South Padre Island, about two hours further south.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach vacation

My preference is S. Padre. Great for realxing with the family. Not much shopping,though. As for a Corpus goes, the advice about skipping downtown Corpus is spot on. Galveston is a downer.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach vacation

Thanks for the advice. We do want a beach area so we'll stay away from the bay area. Shopping: nothing inparticular, nice safe places to spend time. What about spas, and any recommendations on hotels/spas? Thanks again!

OhioTrav

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach vacation

For full service hotels, we've enjoyed the Radisson. Big pools, decent rooms, bar, etc... Some hotels that claim beach access actually only have a narrow boardwalkl that takes you to the beach (Holiday Inn, etc...)For condos, the Suntide is nice. You can view the different condos on their website. Some have hot-tubs, which some like, but I think is overkill at a beach. For great location, check out the Tiki. It's older, but it has a great location at the end of the hotel hotels, so the beach is uncrowded.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach vacation

Thanks. Does Tiki have a website?

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach vacation

http://www.thetiki.com/

If you choose the Tiki, get the complex by the beach. Have always had fun with the kiddo here.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beach vacation

I don't know about hotel spas, but here are a few of the more popular day spas in Corpus:

Woodhouse Day Spa

http://www.corpus.woodhousespas.com/

Anthony's

http://www.anthonysdayspa.com/

Shopping:

Lamar Park

http://www.lamarpark.com

Downtown Corpus

downtowncorpuschristi.com/wiki/DMD/Shopping

Antique Row

- Alameda near Everhart

Several antique stores, gift shops, an art gallery, steak house, and Ingigo Bakery for great sandwiches.

Moore Plaza

- South Padre Island Drive (S.P.I.D.) between Everhart and Staples

The usual things like Target, World Market, Pier 1, James Avery, as well as some non-chain shops and several restaurants.

If you want a mall, the better of the two in town is Padre Staples (S.P.I.D. at Staples), with JC Penney, Foley's, Dillard's, etc.

Hope some of this helps!

There is also some great shopping in Rockport.