We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Texas - Guest Ranch Stay - Cattle Drive - Horse Drive

Hi

My partner and I are travelling to America in July 2012.

As part of our trip we want to go to Texas and do a guest ranch stay or cattle drive or horse drive?

Can anyone suggest the best location to do one of the above?

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

Jess

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas - Guest Ranch Stay - Cattle Drive - Horse Drive

Bandera, Texas has alot of ranches to choose from. If you want something more upscale, try Wildcatter ranch wildcatterranch.com/horseback-riding.html .

Keep in mind that Texas in July is sweltering HOT!! If you are flexible, April, May, October and November are much more comfortable.

Welcome to Texas!!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas - Guest Ranch Stay - Cattle Drive - Horse Drive

Thats for that i really appreciate it.

I have looked on the website you provided and it looks quite a nice place.

Unfortunately we aren't flexible with date we are arrive in the States approx 3/7/2012 and departing around 3/8/2012 so we are going to have to suffer in the heat by the sounds of it.

I notices that you a destination expert for Houston?

Is there any activities you would recommend for the Houston area?

Thanks

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas - Guest Ranch Stay - Cattle Drive - Horse Drive

If you go to www.duderanches.com and select Texas, you will find a really good list of dude ranches, many of them near San Antonio and in the Texas Hill Country, which is quite scenic.

If you check out the Houston forum here on TA and read past posts, you will find information about things to do in Houston. While Houston isn't really a big tourist destination, you can find things of interest here. You could start a day with a visit to Space Center Houston (NASA) if you have an interest in the space program. From there, it is an easy drive to Kemah, where there is a boardwalk and some restaurants to have lunch, then drive on to Galveston. Spend a night or two there if the attractions there interest you.

In Houston itself, you might enjoy the zoo or perhaps taking in an Astros (major league baseball) game if there are any games scheduled while you are here. The Museum of Natural Science in Hermann Park has a great butterfly exhibit, an IMAX theater, and a planetarium.

If you do decide to do the dude ranch thing (we have stayed at the Mayan dude ranch a couple of times and it has been good), consider spending some time in San Antonio itself. The Riverwalk, the Spanish missions, and the Alamo attract lots of visitors. Sea World and Fiesta Texas, a big amusement park, are also located nearby.

As knr says, it will be blazing hot and humid while you are here. This past summer we had weeks of record-breaking heat and are still in the midst of the worst drought in about a hundred years, even though it has cooled down some. One popular hill country activity is tubing down the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers, but I'm not sure how the lack of rain has affected that, and what it might be like next summer.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas - Guest Ranch Stay - Cattle Drive - Horse Drive

TxOffWeGo gave alot of good suggestions. But, it would help to know more of y'all's interests.

Are you sticking with the "cowboy texas" theme and where all in Texas do you plan to visit?

Here are some general ideas....but I think you'll like the George Ranch, southwest of Houston

http://www.georgeranch.org/visit/general/

http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/

5. Re: Texas - Guest Ranch Stay - Cattle Drive - Horse Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 10:18