We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

Hi all,

Texas has been on our bucket list for years. Going away for Christmas is also on the schedule this year. So we though to combine the two. I am looking for recommendations of where to target for our first visit. Right now, I am looking at flying into San Antonio or Houston and then looking at possibly Galveston or???

Here's some about us and what we are looking for in hopes someone can make a recommendation.

- We love to drive around and just see the countryside.

- Kids love swimming/beach/ocean, but are just as happy if there is a pool at the vacation rental.

- Like quiet evenings on the deck or beach or patio at a restaurant

- Would really like to try to visit some local ranches if possible

- Not much into shopping

- Like museums, local lore, etc., ghost towns, history, etc.

I know that seems very broad, but we really have never found anywhere we have traveled that we haven't liked. We will be down for 10 days (Dec 22 - Jan 1) and are starting to look at vacation rentals, etc.

Any advice on a great place for a family with 10 and 13 year old kids would be great.

Thanks!!!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

San Antonio with its proximity to the Hill Country and Austin will hit most of your list. It is generally too cold to swim outdoors at Christmas time even here in south Texas, so you'll need and indoor pool if that's a priority.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

I would echo Octoboy in that I would focus on the San Antonio, Austin, Texas Hill country area. The San Antonio Riverwalk is ablaze with beautiful lights at this time of year. Weather will be a concern as you go north of San Antonio but rarely will you see snow south of the Hill Country. Lotsa small towns north of SA with German heritage and much to see and do from antiquing to wineries.

The waters on the Gulf Coast will be much too cold to swim but if weather is nice the nearest beaches are just 2 1/2 hours by car south on Mustang and Padre Islands (Port Aransas is our favorite in the winter with much to see and do).

Austin has a vibrant music scene and some great dining options and San Antonio is rich with history and local culture.

Check out the Hill Country town of Fredericksburg and look into a stay at a Dude Ranch in Bandera.

Great German culture and shopping/dining in Gruene just up the interstate on the way to Austin from San Antonio.

There is lots more to see and do

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Sounds like San Antonio or Austin would fit the bill... I am going to check into Fredericksburg and Bandera for sure as we are all country/ranch people, so staying in a big city is not our idea of fun. Great to visit, nice to tour, shop, eat, but prefer quieter location for sleeping/relaxing! I really appreciate the insight.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

Definitely check out the Fredericksburg area for Christmas. You'll want to go to Johnson City some evening to see all the Christmas lights in town and at the Pedernales Electric Co-op. A visit to the LBJ Ranch is good at that time of year too because it is decorated for the holidays like the Johnsons would have had it decorated--down to the Christmas stockings.

5. Re: Christmas in Texas... Need help choosing where to go!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:42