We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

Fort walton Beach...
Level Contributor
131 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

Hi everyone.

We are a family of three with a teenager. Every Christmas, we take off on about a ten day vacation (from about 12/18 to 12/26 most years but this year it will be 12/20 - 12/30). We usually end up in Orlando but have done some other trips - namely to DC just a couple years ago.

Orlando is out this year because our daughter's high school is getting out a few days later and we'll get in Orlando too late to beat the big crowds. We've decided on Texas because we took a spring break trip to San Antonio about six years and loved it. Texas also works because we need to be in New Orleans to see family on NYE and it's on the way back to our home on the FL Panhandle if we do Texas.

So Texas it is. The preliminary plans are a split between Dallas/Fort Worth and San Antonio. We're not sure which one we'll do first. I'm way early into planning but any advice is appreciated on what to do and where to stay.

As far as what we like, we live in a small town so we love being in a big city. IKEA and Whole Foods can be a fun day for us. We also like museums and zoos and we obviously love theme parks. I know the Six Flags properties do something for the holidays so I'm sure we'll be there and Sea World as well. Big outdoor malls also make us pretty happy. We do want to do some "unique to Texas" things.

As far as hotels, our favorite chain is Omni but we'll stay almost anywhere relatively nice. We like historic hotels but not stuffy places - we're solidly casual people. We don't like bed and breakfasts even a little bit. Gaylord Texan is on our radar as well because we've stayed at their properties before and love them. In San Antonio, we'll probably stay on the Riverwalk but I also love the Hyatt properties.

Anyway, any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

San Antonio riverwalk is lit the entire month of DEC-quite magical

walk thr ough the various hotels for their lobby decorations-Menger, La Mansion etc.

take the river boat ride

SA zoo is open year round

Natural Bridge Caverns near New Braunfels

check St. Fernando Cathedral

St. Joesph church

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

Although the Gaylord in Grapevine is a cool property, the Omni's in Fort Worth or Dallas would put you closer to the action. The Ikea in Dallas is actually in Frisco, a straight shot out the Dallas North Tollway. There are several Whole Food Markets, including a great store on Greenville, close to the fabulous Half Price Books mother ship. There is a Whole Foods in Arlington. Fort Worth has Central Market- not as good as Whole Foods but way cool as well. Yes, Six Flags will have Holiday In the Park during December in Arlington- not too far a drive from Dallas or FW.

Dallas is great for shopping with NorthPark, Galleria, Mockingbird Station but FW isn't bad with NorthEast Mall and Hulen Mall. During the holdiays, NorthPark is the best.

While Dallas does have some great museums (including the Sixth Floor museum, Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center, the Crow Collection of Asian Art) I love the cultural district in Fort Worth with the Kimbell, the Modern, Amon Carter, Natural History and Science, the National Cowgirl Museum- lots to see in one small area. Plus the downtown area of Fort Worth (Sundance Square) has lots of restaurants/bars/entertainment venues in a very walkable area. And it is hard to beat the Stockyards for the whole "unique to Texas" vibe.

Both Dallas and FW zoos are nice but I prefer the FW zoo for location and setting.

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

I am so invigorated by your post. I to chose Dallas for my Christmas vacation. I am now researching what to do for my 4 days there as a solo person.

I am definitely doing the library where LHO worked and then shot JFK. I'm also interested in the five neighbourhoods: OakLawn, Uptown, Historic District, Bishops art district, Dallas art district and Deep Ellum.

I felt weird going on my own to Dallas (I'm not single) but I felt an urge... Glad you're family will be there too :)

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

Omni La Mansion on the Riverwalk in San Antonio is perfect for a Christmas get-away. Expensive, for sure, but great location and one of our favorite Riverwalk properties. Book early for Christmas!

5. Re: Advice needed for Christmas 2012 trip to Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 21:17