We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train journey

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Train journey

I am hoping to travel from Chicago to Texas by train but as the journey is so long would like to break it up with a overnight stay could anybody recommend a nice place to get off the train and stay the night maybe explore then carry on my journey to Texas

Thanks for your help

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train journey

My suggestion would check with AMTRAK and see if you can do this. If you can I would get off at Malvern, AR and go to Hot Springs national park. Although the train arrives and departs at 4 AM. It is 20 miles to the park and Taxi seems to be the only transportation. Where is you final destination in Texas ?

http://www.hotsprings.org/

Edited: 10 February 2013, 19:54
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train journey

St Louis would be my choice. It is an interesting city. The train station there is a short taxi ride from hotels within walking distance to the Gateway Arch on the Mississippi River. We stayed at the Drury Inn a block off the river, a mid-range hotel that we liked. As I read the Amtrak schedule, the train to Dallas departs at 8:00 pm, so you'll have all day to explore. You'll need to make arrangements for your bags after checkout time. My experience is that hotels are happy to hold bags for a reasonable amount of time.

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train journey

I agree St. Louis will be a better choice . Hot Springs would be to hard with no transportation.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train journey

Hi everybody

Thank you for your help I have looked at Amtrack routes I did not realise the journey from St Louis to Texas would be 15 hours I think I am going to have to replan my route maybe fly into another city from London.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train journey

There are LCC's that fly Chicago to various Texas cities. Why not fly? It may very well be less expensive than the train.

Try Southwest Airlines or Jet Blue.

6. Re: Train journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17