We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

Roodt/Syre
Level Contributor
52 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

Good morning Trip Advisor Community, I hope you're all well.

I have a question today, I'm currently planning my road trip in Texas and New Mexico with some friends. We will do this tour iin September ( 16th of September ) And the longest journey on that trip would be the trip from San Antonio to El Paso. Is this realistic to do it in one day, here in Europe I'd say sure a 550 miles trip in one day, no problem. But I don't know the roads and speed limits in Texas.

Thanks for your help.

Tim :)

Edited: 24 February 2013, 11:48
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

With more than one driver this is a one day drive. You will be on I-10 the whole way. Speed limits range from 65 to 80 miles per hour and the road is good. Keep your eye on your fuel level--there are often long, long stretches of road with very little in the way of services and you don't want to let your tank get too low.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

You can make it in one day, but you will miss out on some of the best and interesting places in the state such as Big Bend National Park and Ft. Davis. What's the hurry?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

I have done it in about 8 hard driving hours. You can drive most of the way at 80 mph. Last summer drove from Tucson to San Antonio same day. (wasn't fun)

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

If you are not interested in seeing a lot of the same scenery, you can leave in the afternoon. We leave around 3pm and get there around midnight, tired and ready for bed. But we've done the bulk of our driving.

5. Re: Driving time San Antonio to El Paso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:17