We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas or Houston?

Williamstown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas or Houston?

Hi im a 26yr old from Australoa looking at visiting either dallas or houston next year for approx 5 days end of march/first week in april. I just not sure which would suit me better. I like hot weather, shopping and a good night life for pubs/bars. Do either have a beach close by?

Any feedback would help. Or even another suggestion of a nice warm city not to far away from new orleans as that will be the next stop. Ive done miami, orlando before so they are ruled out.

thanks, georgie.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
466 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas or Houston?

Well, Houston is closer to New Orleans than Dallas. Galveston is about an hour from Houston, but nothing like the beaches in Florida. From The Mississippi River to halfway across the Texas coast the water is not blue. Still safe to go in, just not pretty. It will be warm during your trip but not HOT like it is right now. What sort of things are you looking to do? Check out past threads or put Houston in the search box at the top of this forum to see some recommendations, tips.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
350 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas or Houston?

Being 26, we think you will like Houston more. There is plenty of shopping - malls everywhere, including the famed Galleria. Houston is one of the top spots for restaurants in the US. You have an abundance of tourist attractions, including Astros baseball, Johnson Space Center, Space Center Houston, Galveston, the museums, and so much more. Dallas is nice, but we have never found it exciting or much fun other than shopping. There is a large nightlife scene in Houston, and lots of live music venues throughout.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas or Houston?

At that time of year warm weather is more of a sure thing in the southern part of the state so Houston and Galveston should have what you want.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas or Houston?

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will be held March 4-23, if you are interested.

Galveston is Houston's closest beach with action. March is busy there due to Spring Break, a week off for most students. The closer you go to the end of March the less crowded it will be. If you plan to overnight there, book early.

Welcome to Texas!!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas or Houston?

Both Dallas and Houston are fun cities with plenty to do. I just got back from a week or so in Houston and had a great time so I'm inclined to recommend Houston.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dallas or Houston?

Dallas is approximately 300 miles from any beach, while Houston is only about 50 miles. Houston has a very active night life, with most people in your age group congregating either in Downtown or along Washington Avenue. Clearly, Dallas does have bars, but it tends to be a more conservative city.

I'd think shopping would be about equal in both cities, as both have major shopping malls, (both have malls called "The Galleria"), neighborhoods which specialize in certain types of shopping, etc., so no advantage to either city there.

Odds are that Houston would probably be warmer than Dallas at that time of year--probably ranging into the 70's or even low 80's (Fahrenheit) during the day (roughly 21-28 Celsius).

Based on what you've said you're looking for, you'd probably be happier in Houston--additionally, we're closer to New Orleans ("NOLA"), if that makes any difference. There are really no major cities between Houston and NOLA that would satisfy your needs--mostly small towns.

Have a great trip, Mate.

Williamstown...
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dallas or Houston?

thanks heaps for everyone's feed back. i think i will definitely go with Houston. Appreciate it :)

8. Re: Dallas or Houston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:18