We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

Hello all,

I am British and my boyfriend is from Austin...I plan to come visit for Christmas etc. I know I am allowed 90 days on my tourist visa and plan to stay the entire 90 days. I may then take a trip to Mexico...does anyone know how long I have to be out of the country before I am allowed into the US again?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

I hope to hear from you soonn

Danielle.

Spirit Expeditions
Sightseeing Tours
Waxahachie Haunted History Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Waco River Safari
City Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
BlueSky Helicopter Tours
City Tours, Helicopter Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

I respectfully suggest you get expert advice about your situation from the US government. Start with US embassy. london.usembassy.gov

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

As a citizen of the UK you will apply for ESTA and travel without a visa when approved. You may stay for no more than 90 days which includes any time in Mexico. There is no set period you must remain outside the USA before returning but:

"When traveling to the U.S. with the approved ESTA, you may only stay for up to 90 days at a time - and there should be a reasonable amount of time between visits so that the CBP Officer does not think you are trying to live here. There is no set requirement for how long you must wait between visits." from Homeland Security web page.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

You mention "tourist visa" and "90 days" which sounds as though you are mixing up a B2 tourist visa (length of stay limited to 180 days/visit) and the Visa Waiver Program, which is not a visa but a WAIVER of the visa. Under the VWP, any time spent in Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands (i.e., the Caribbean) counts towards your 90 day limit. So if you enter on the VWP, do NOT expect that a trip to Mexico will reset your clock.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 18:17
Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

Hello,

Thank you very much for your responses they are really helpful. Yeah I did mean the visa waiver program sorry for being confusing.

So, if were to leave America and go to Mexico at the end of my trip do I have to include my trip there in my 90 days or do I need a new visa and therefore new amount of days for Mexico? I plan to go to Mexico for 2/3 months.

Do you think this would be seen as a 'reasonable amount of time' so I could visit my boyfriend again before returning to the UK?

Once again, many thanks I really do appreciate your advice and knowledge.

Danielle

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

You should contact your state department for advice. It is my understanding that you will have to return to the UK before attempting to re -enter the USA.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

Yes, your time in Mexico would count in your 90 days. The VWP requires that you leave North America (USA, Canada, Mexico, adjacent islands) within 90 days of first arrival in the U.S. You need to read up on this.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

Take a cheap Spirit airlines return flight to central America (about $200 return from fort Lauderdale). Just have a good excuse on your return. Mexico, Canada etc. do not count.

To get in to America any time you need proof of onward or return flight. Again - the cheapest option would be a Spirit Airlines flight to Central America - even if you never use the ticket.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 10:27
Mentioned in this post
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

Hi

Ah I see. Will they not check my passport for activity when I actually do leave though?

Thanks for the info about he cheapest airline! Will look into it right now.

Danielle.

9. Re: how long do I have to leave America before I can re enter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:19