We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

Hi,

I have booked an international flight from India to US through British Airways. My first port of entry is DFW airport in Dallas. I have only 90 minutes layover at this airport. Is there a chance that I will be able to make it to the connecting flight to Austin (operated by American Airlines)? It's a Sunday evening layover. I called them to change the connecting flight but they could not find any seats in a later flight that day. Is there anything I can do to avoid missing the flight and getting stranded on the airport overnight?

Thanks,

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

If you are a US citizen you should be alright. It has rarely taken me more than an hour from arriving at the gate to exiting Customs/Immigration. So you should have time to get to your connection via Skylink assuming the flight is on time. My experience with BA is that the London flight is usually a few minutes early. If you are a non-citizen and non-resident, it will be dicey given DFW's notoriety for slow immigration processing for our guests.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

I have to amend my reply based on a report by a US citizen of taking two hours to get through C/I at DFW. So 90 minutes may not be enough. Note the post by Bajablonde at the end of this link. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g55711-i141-k53965…

Edited: 23 July 2013, 23:19
Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
466 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

If you have enough time before your trip, try to get a Global Entry Pass. Info about it online. Should get you through lines faster. I'm checking it out for future international trips.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

The Global Entry website talks about a personal interview. Any idea where these are done, and by whom?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

Some friends have done it. I believe they had to go to DFW for the interviews.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

Here's the list of the places you can schedule your interview: www.globalentry.gov/enrollmentcenters.html

I believe they are still by appointment only, but only take about 10 minutes per interview, so if you are married, try to schedule your spouse's interview at the same time.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 16:51
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

This article is from yesterday regarding wait times at DFW (Ii do not fly international, so my apologies if this has nothing to do with your situation)

wfaa.com/news/local/Customs-fails-to-control…

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

90 minutes is enough unless your flight is late. I have global entry, it take me bout 5 minutes to clear.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

I am also worried about this. I am flying into DFW in December and have 1 hour 45 minutes before catching the last flight out to my destination..

Someone linked the same article above to me recently and I have been freaking out although the airlines and the airport all say no need to worry as early December on a Wednesday evening is fine.

Almost makes you want to do Global Entry, but have never been international before and not sure about if we will go again in the next 5 years.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 23:54
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port of Entry DFW - Is the layover time sufficient?

Update - I didn't have Global Entry but didn't face any problems at the airport. As soon as I came out of my Dallas flight and was heading towards immigration, there were people standing there calling for passengers of certain flight numbers (mine was one of them). All passengers like me who had little connecting time were given fast passes and were allowed to make a separate queue at immigration, security check etc. So, the layover was pretty smooth.