We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas Road trip

Wolverhampton...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Texas Road trip

Hi, Can anyone advise? I would like to visit Texas next July/August with my husband and two kids, the kids will be age 13 and 17 when we travel. We are hoping to go for 21 days. I've been looking at Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, also San Antonio, Austin and would like to visit South Padre for the beach experience. Are there any places 'a must' that I've missed? Obviously we're on a budget as a family of 4. We've been to the States several times before but never visited this area. Can anyone advise on booking hotels as we go? I've never done this before, always rebooked our hotel with flights and car hire but as there are so may places we want to visit felt it would be better to book as we go along, just worried it may 'break the bank' if we're not careful! Would be grateful if you could advise? Thanks

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas Road trip

Any particular sorts of things you want to experience? Outdoors? Cultural? Food?

It will be hot. Plan outdoorsy things for the mornings.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas Road trip

You will have no problem booking hotels as you go. Just use any reputable booking site or ask your hotel to book ahead for you if you are using a chain like Hilton, Marriott, etc. You could also research using kayak, for example, then call direct to your next hotel to book. Priceline is very good for San Antonio as is Hotwire. A good budget chain would be La Quinta, similar in many ways to Premier Inns in the UK.

San Antonio, Austin, and the Hill Country are all centrally located with a lot to see and do. Corpus Christi/Port Aransas/Rockport are the nearest beach destinations from there, just 2.5 hours driving. Add 3 more hours for South Padre Island.

It will be very hot but you should get cool nights in the Hill Country and along the coast. Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston will be incredibly hot and humid at this time of year.

You can plan outdoor activities around the water in the San Antonio- Austin area with waterparks like Schlitterbahn and water sports like tubing the Comal or Guadalupe rivers in New Braunfels.

Lotsa water sports along the coast as well...kayaking, sailing, surfing, fishing, etc.

As far as urban considerations San Antonio is the most tourist friendly with lots to see and do much of which is walkable. Houston has great museums and NASA. Dallas is much urban sprawl but nice restaurants as well as sports, especially baseball at this time. Fort Worth has great museums and a more Texas feel with the Stockyards an example.

There are many great small towns with Czech, Polish, German, Alsatian, heritage that are fun to visit if that interests you.

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions here so let us know more specifics about what you might be looking for.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas Road trip

To get a feel for lodging cost, I suggest you use a website such as kayak.com to see the cost today for the places you wish to visit. E.g. Tomorrow night in San Antonio you can get rooms at Hilton Palacio del Rio on the River Walk for $152 + tax. Expect it to be a bit higher next year. There are less expensive lodgings available in SA of course, but you get the idea.

You don't say what you like to do as a family or the gender of your kids, but I would wager that you all enjoy amusement parks. Six Flags has parks in Arlington, between Dallas and Ft. Worth, and in San Antonio. Rodeos are fun for everyone and very "Texas." The Ft. Worth Stock Yards historic district has one every weekend night. It also has a longhorn cattle drive, western shops and good places to eat. The Water Garden in downtown Ft. Worth is unique and pretty amazing.

About the weather, one never knows. North Texas is having milder weather than London at the moment.

4. Re: Texas Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:16