We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas in December

Lake Stevens...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Texas in December

Hello! I will be flying to Dallas in December to pick up my kid for Christmas break. Is there anything to do there in December? Ideally, I would like to get out to a beach and lay in the sun but it snowed like crazy there last year so is that even possible? Plus how far away are beaches from the Dallas - Fort Worth airport? Never "vacationed" in Texas before so suggestions/information are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Texas
Texas
United States
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas in December

Beach destinations in Texas:

Galveston. 310 miles from DFW

Port Aransas/Corpus Christi. 425 miles

South Padre Island. 575 miles

Beaches get progressively nicer the farther south you travel. Most of this is due to muddy water resulting from proximity to Mississippi River.

Lots to do in Galveston but beaches not the best.

Port Aransas much nicer and small fishing village vibe with lotsa unspoiled natural coast along Padre Island National Seashore.

South Padre is most developed with nicer water and beaches but a very long way from DFW!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Port Aransas
Port Aransas
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Padre Island National Seashore
Padre Island National...
1,496 Reviews
Corpus Christi, TX
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas in December

Kelli--

Since you're from Washington state, you'd probably consider our Decembers in Galveston fairly mild. Most Texans would tell you temps in the 50's-60's (occasionally higher) aren't suitable, but you may enjoy that. The further into the month you go, the lower the daytime highs.

While I've never visited South Padre during the winter, I understand it's very nice, suitable for sunbathing and even swimming at that time of year, but as Gehrig points out, a very long drive.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
3. Re: Texas in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:21