We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six day trip -(beginning of March)

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Six day trip -(beginning of March)

Four of us visiting USA in the end of February. We are planning to stay in New Orleans for a few days then take a car and head to the Texas. We are thinking of visiting San Antonio, Austin, San Marcos and Houston from witch we have flight home (05 March).

So we have approximately six days for trip to Texas and wondering what route to take, what to visit (maybe some nice towns or anything else worth stopping off at on the way), where to sleep (we are a little bit on the tight budget  )….?

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,512 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

I-10 will get you to Houston, from there I'd head to Austin, then San Marcos and San Antonio.

I use blind bidding sites like Hotwire and Priceline for hotels.

Music - Austin, Gruene; Schliterbahn in New Braunfels; Toobing in San Marcos and New Braunfels; Naturalbridge Caverns just north of San Antonion; Alamo and Riverwalk in San Antonio. There's lots of choices - what are you interested in?

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

I am not sure how much we can do in 6 days but we would definitely like to see "major tourist" attractions(Alamo, Riverwalk, Space Center...) in every city , taste some local vibe, eat good local food ....any idea you can have we will gladly consider.

One of our options is to leave New Orleans in the late afternoon and drive for couples of hours to some interesting town were we can spend night and continue to Austin next morning. Any idea of some interesting place in between New Orleans and Austin?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

Approximately 2 hours from New Orleans is Lafayette, LA. It is a charming town with lots of good Cajun and Creole food. It has been many years since I've spent the night there, but it used to have a lively night life, as well.

If you wanted to drive an additional hour, you could continue west on I-10 to Lake Charles, which also has some good local food and a very active race track.

I'd check the local sites for both cities to see which appeals to you more. To get to Austin, you're basically going to have to go through Houston on I-10, or you'll be travelling on back roads, which will take you considerably longer to get to Austin. Personally, I prefer I-10 all the way west to Columbus, where you exit northwest onto State Hwy 71 into Austin. This is a very scenic drive with virtually no stops all the way from Houston to Austin.

Along that route, you could stop for lunch in Columbus or LaGrange, both of which have a couple of decent restaurants.

Dobrodošli u Teksasu.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

Hvala Gene :),

thanks for all info, now I will try to put together some basic trip plan and will definitely bother you with some additional questions.

If any of you can suggestion some reasonable priced hotels that we can use on our trip please share....

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

Not sure what is a reasonable price for you, but check out Holiday Inn Express, Hilton Garden Inn, Marriott Residence Inn, Embassy Suites (another Hilton brand), Springhill Suites, Fairfield Suites, Sleep Inn, Baymont Suites, La Quinta, Red Roof Inn for starters.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

From a recent experience driving through Lafayette on SUNDAY - many restaurants are closed and most that are open, close around 2-3 in the afternoon. However! there are several which serve a wonderful brunch during their Sunday hours, some with live music. urbanspoon.com/nf/…Brunch-Spots

Sunday out of the way - always check Lafayette restaurants' website for hours. I noticed that even other days of the week, you may find doors locked during the 2-5pm hours. I'd hate for you to detour off I-10, set for a mouthwatering meal, only to find your anticipated choice closed..... Make NO assumptions!

I'm not sure why I have a fascination with the Achafalaya Basin - but it is the largest wetland (swamp) in the U.S. You will travel over it between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. If you are so inclined, there are tours available.

travellogs.us/2007Logs/… 20Bridge.htm

7. Re: Six day trip -(beginning of March)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:17