We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rudy's Bbq

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rudy's Bbq

Hi all!!

My husband and I will be traveling through Texas in May and we heard that the Rudy's Bbq chain is a must try.

I was just curious if there was 1 better than the others, or are they all pretty much the same???

Thanks in advance!!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rudy's Bbq

I've been to Rudy's in Austin and at one of the Houston locations and, to me, they were pretty much the same. Others may have had a different experience.

Where will you be traveling in Texas? I ask because there are some really outstanding places for BBQ that would be worth a stop--local, one of a kind places with great food as opposed to a chain. Let us know your route and how long you will be staying in places and I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions.

Texas
Level Contributor
505 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rudy's Bbq

There is a lot better BBQ around especially in the Austin area.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rudy's Bbq

http://www.texasbbqtrails.com/

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rudy's Bbq

Oh, here we go again with the BBQ wars. Everyone will have their own opinion, of course, so I will stick with your query and not try to steer you in a different direction as so many others may.

Rudy's is very good. I like the atmosphere and especially the turkey. The brisket is quite well prepared as well. They are all about the same these days but if you want a taste of the original Rudy's that location in is Leon Springs just outside San Antonio on I10, north of the city.

Have a great holiday in Texas!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rudy's Bbq

I had the smoked Prime Rib at Rudy's 11570 Research Blvd location in Austin. It was honestly the best prime rib I've ever eaten - fork tender, lightly smoky, moist.... just perfect. I hoped to duplicate the experience at the I-20 location in Arlington (between Dallas and Fort Worth) and it was worse that the worst prime rib I've ever eaten. These are my only 2 experiences with Rudy's.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30196-d46…

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rudy's Bbq

Rudy's is certainly doable if you don't have the time to get to the more mom and pop joints.

www.rudysbbq.com for locations

as mentioned, turkey is a good bet and the creamed corn.

New Braunfels has a bigger condiment bar compared to SA locations

----

some other choices for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo75DalsVOw

Edited: 28 December 2013, 17:09
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rudy's Bbq

My choices first to last, but all are excellent choices. These are shades of perfection and worth a special trip.

Smitty's in Lockhart

Salt Lick Near Austin

City Market in Luling

Kreuz Market in Lockhart

Black's in Lockhart

Coopers in New Braunfels

Luling Bar-B-Que in Luling

Next tier down (Again in order first choice first - where I eat in SA, but probably not worth a special trip.)

Rudy's in Leon Springs or Schertz (originals)

Rudy's in New Braunfels (franchised)

Augies by the Park in San Antinio

BBQ Station in San Antonio

Smoke House (Formerly Bob's) in San Antonio

Two Brothers in San Antonio

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rudy's Bbq

If you are looking for the original Rudy's experience, then you will need to go to the one in Leon Springs, north of San Antonio on IH 10 West, towards Boerne, TX. You will exit Boerne Stage Road from San Antonio.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,442 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rudy's Bbq

We are big Rudy's fans love their Brisket always stop there for lunch or dinner you will enjoy it one of many good BBQ places in Texas.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rudy's Bbq

Rudy's - Creamed Corn... mmmmmmmmm

The best thing about Rudy's is that the quality of food is pretty reliable and consistent. It may not be the best BBQ, but it won't be the worst (usually - with regards to KarenLB)