We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

texas fly drive advice

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
texas fly drive advice

Hi all

My wife and i have done several flydrive tours all over the states and we are now looking at doing a Texas trip in september.

Me and the missus like quite busy holidays (national parks,cities,scenery,theme parks,i love a bit of nascar, the wife loves a shopping mall!)We don't mind driving long distances,on a trip to colorado,utah and yellowstone we clocked up 3000 miles in 2 weeks!

The following trip is straight out of the Trailfinders holiday brochure,could you give it the once over and see what you think.

All advice is welcome.

Fort Worth 2 nights

Abilene 1 night

Fort Stockton 1 night

Big Bend NP 2 nights

Bandera 2 nights

San Antonio 2 nights

Galveston Island 2 nights

Houston 1 night

Thanks

Glen

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: texas fly drive advice

Not something I would ever do but there is nothing wrong with your itinerary. Being behind the wheel of a car 7 of your 14 days does not appeal to me at all but obviously it does for you and more power to you.

Your drive to Bandera will be a very long day but otherwise you are looking at drives of 4 hours or less.

If you plan to stay at Chisos Mountain Lodge in Big Bend I would suggest making arrangements very early. This is the only lodging in Big Bend.

San Antonio has 2 theme parks, SeaWorld and Six Flags Fiesta Texas but your time will be so limited there you will have to choose one. Fiesta Texas is more thrill rides, SeaWorld is, well, SeaWorld.

September can still be very hot so be prepared for that, especially out west.

You will probably get many suggestions for changing you itinerary but I am not going to go there. Sounds like this is the kinda holiday you enjoy so make the most of it.

2. Re: texas fly drive advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:20