We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College football

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
College football

I'm visiting Texas/New Orleans in September and would love to see some football. I'm not sure though that I will be in the right places on the right days? Unfortunately the Longhorns are playing in Arlington when I'm in Austin. I have a very very slim chance of the Cowboys playing on MNF on 09/15/14 and the Saints playing on Thursday Night football 09/18/14. Does anyone know if I can catch some football on these dates?

San Antonio - Thursday 11th September & Friday 12th September

Austin - Saturday 13th September & Sunday 14th September

Ft Worth - Monday 15th September

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,201 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College football

Here are the schedules:

U of Texas Longhorns: www.texassports.com/schedule.aspx…

Dallas Cowboys (nothing really announced yet): fbschedules.com/nfl-14/2014-dallas-cowboys-f…

New Orleans Saints (same situation): fbschedules.com/nfl-14/2014-new-orleans-sain…

Pro schedules will be announced later on, so check back every few weeks.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College football

Depending on how long you'll be in New Orleans, and how willing you are to drive an hour or so, what about an LSU game? They'll be in Baton Rouge on the 20th of September. www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml…

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: College football

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Unfortunately the day of the LSU game is when I fly home from New Orleans. Looks like I'm out of luck unless the NFL schedule is very kind to me!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,073 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College football

San Marcos is between San Antonio and Austin and home of Texas State University. They will be playing Navy on September 13th at home. Game time is yet to be announced but I suspect this one will sell out so if interested I would purchase tickets early or look at StubHub. The drive from Austin is about 30 minutes.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College football

High school football in Texas is HUGE!!!, often more so than same city college games - there are plenty who would take ANY high school game over ANY highly paid, low performance professional game ANY day! ;)

Ordinarily, high school games are on Friday nights (8pm), which places you in San Antonio. I checked the 2013 State Championship playoff bracket and there are three SA teams that made it to the Semi-Final round **last year. So, once you're settled in SA, find if the following teams are playing within an easy drive for you. Keep in mind, even when high school teams are "away", they're often playing within the same city. 2014 schedules aren't yet published - check later in summer.

** If a team has a lot of graduating seniors in a winning year, the team's performance the following year may or may not perform as well - but it can be guaranteed the *expectation* will generate a lot of fervor, so games will be exciting nonetheless.

("Class" is assigned based on high school enrollment number. 5A is the largest school, 1A the smallest)

Class 4A - Brennan Bears (15-1)

Class 5A - Madison Mavericks (11-4)

Class 5A - Johnson Jaguars (12-3)

Edited: 09 March 2014, 15:00
London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: College football

Great advice, thanks Gehrig & KarinLB. Both options look perfect. I've seen Friday Night Lights so I know how big HS football is, especially in the south. I'll try and see both a HS game & a college game, with a bit of luck an NFL game too!!!!!

Thanks

7. Re: College football

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20