We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

Hi all, just wondering if people think this is a realistic achievable plan:

I arrive at DFW from Sydney at 1.45pm on a Monday in April, and fly out again to Chicago the next day at 5.25pm. If possible I'd like to see the 6th Floor JFK museum in Dallas, and also soak up the atmosphere of Fort Worth, during my short stay. I don't want to hire a car because I'll be tired and unfamiliar with the US road rules.

So I'm thinking of this plan:

After clearing immigration & customs, take shuttle bus from DFW to the hotel: Holiday Inn DFW Airport South.

After checking in & dropping bag at hotel, walk 15mins from hotel to Centreport TRE train station.

Catch TRE train to Union Station, Dallas.

Walk a couple of blocks to "6th Floor" JFK museum and see it until it closes at 6pm.

Have some dinner in Dallas then head back to the hotel via the TRE train, walking from Centreport station back to hotel.

The next morning, check out of the hotel but leave my luggage there.

Catch the TRE train from centreport into Fort Worth and spend the morning wandering around including seeing the cattle drive through the stockyards.

After lunch, catch a TRE train back to centreport, again walk to the hotel, pick up my luggage, then get the shuttle bus to DFW airport for my afternoon flight.

Is this a do-able plan? My main concern is whether I'll have time to get to the 6th floor JFK museum in time to spend some time inside before it closes. Anything else in my plan I should be worried about?

Many thanks

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

I think is doable as long as you realize your time at the Sixth Floor may be short. Also, double check with the hotel to confirm leaving your bags. Hope to hear back how this goes for you and your insights and impressions.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

Great plan! but agree with poodle your time my be short at 6th floor.

Next day - Understand the TRE arrives at downtown FW's ITC station. You'll take The-T bus route 15 to the Stockyards, a few miles north of downtown. (Your TRE regional day pass includes bus fares in FW) http://www.the-t.com/Route15.aspx

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

Thanks very much Karin and poodleone for your replies. So I think I'll wait to see how long it takes to get through customs & immigration, and then make a decision which way to go that night. If I'm short on time I'll head to Fort Worth that night and maybe have a beer and dinner at Billy Bobs, then go into Dallas the next morning (and miss the herd muster). But if I'm early I'll go into Dallas on the first afternoon to see the JFK museum, then have all the next morning to see Fort Worth including the herd muster.

PS In Australia we have the perception that if you walk around by yourself at night in the USA you're at risk of either being shot with a gun, or mugged. I happily walk through cities at night here in Australia, but is there any reason to worry about walking from centreport station back to my hotel late in the evening?

Thanks

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

May I suggest having that beer at Billy Bob's but dinner somewhere else? There are several favorites in the Stockyards close by including Cattlemens, H3, Loveshack and Star Cafe. Stop in at the White Elephant Saloon for a look at all the cowboy hats donated for wall and ceiling display over the years.

If I was from another country and hearing about all of the gun violence in Texas, I would probably be very concerned about safety as well. Of course, there are places to be more cautious than others. However, for the most part, you won't see much difference from what you experience in any metropolitan area. That said, just be alert as you are walking to your hotel and you need to watch for traffic. If you will have a cell phone, you might give the Holiday Inn a call when you get to the train station so they can watch for you.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

First - the TRE only operates until around 10pm, so you won't be out extremely late. Second, I'm fairly certain the hotel offers a shuttle - you might e-mail them to verify. Otherwise, it will be about a mile walk from CentrePort to your hotel.

Assuming you will utilize the hotel shuttle, I'd call the hotel and request a pick-up once you pass the BELL station, if coming from FW or the WEST IRVING station, if coming from Dallas. That way, they could be waiting for you at train's arrival.

Once back at the hotel, there are a number of small, neighborhood restaurants, a 7-11, maybe a bar or two in the immediate area. I would not hesitate to walk among them. The walk between Centreport and the hotel is in a fine area - mostly apartments, but probably not much traffic during the evening, ie, you may feel it's a little secluded to walk at night.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

Just a (late) follow up to this thread - thanks again to Karin and poodleone for your help - as it turned out I decided to go to Fort Worth after my plane arrived, had a good look around the Stockyards area, a beer at Billy Bob's, which was huge but quite empty, then a beer and hamburger dinner at the Loveshack. Then got the bus back to the city which has a totally different atmosphere to the stockyards, then the TRE then back to Centreport station. The walk to & from Centreport station felt quite safe for me even at night. The next day, visiting the sixth floor museum in Dallas was a real highlight and I didn't feel I had to rush. I didn't have much time to explore the rest of Dallas apart from walking around a few city blocks but I was interested in both Dallas and FW to see the number of entire city blocks taken up only by car parking, rather than being built on as prime city real estate which is what I'm used to seeing in many other cities. All the people I met were friendly, including the ticket inspector on the TRE train who let me off with a friendly warning after I innocently bought the wrong type of ticket from the machine.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

Thanks so much for posting back. Glad to hear your plans went well. And, yeah- Monday at Billy Bob's might be their slowest day ;-)

I love riding the TRE- you get to see so much of the Metroplex (including not so pretty parts) which most of us miss while driving.

8. Re: Dallas & Fort Worth in a one day stopover with DFW hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2015, 06:17