We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over location

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over location

Hi All. Husband and I will be arriving in Houston on the 8th June, spending 2 nights in Galveston and then planning on heading to Austin and San Antonia. Husband wants to see the Space Centre so we are planning on doing that the day we leave Galveston before heading to either San Antonio or Austin, haven't decided what order to do them in yet. Husband doesn't want to do a lot of driving in one day and doesn't want to use the interstate (we want to see more of your great state than just a long road), unless we really have to so we are thinking about having a stopover somewhere the night after Galveston but are not sure where would be the best place. Can anyone recommend somewhere with good restaurants, bars and hotels please either between Galveston and San Antonio or Galveston and Austin? Thanks in advance

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over location

Almost all of us drive all the way. I've lived in Texas for 30+years and never stopped the night in between.

I'd spend the night in Houston, enjoy the night life, and then head out the next day.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over location

Both trips would be less than a four hour drive, less if you are actually starting at the Space Center, so there's really no reason to stop over anywhere unless you get a very late start. There aren't many places along either route that would have a variety of good restaurants, bars, and hotels. These are going to be really small towns for the most part.

That being said, if you do want to stop, and decide to go to Austin first, you can take Hwy 290 West from Houston and spend the night in Brenham. It's a nice town with quite of bit of history - known as the birthplace of Texas - and a handful of chain hotels and a few B&Bs. http://www.visitbrenhamtexas.com/

If you decide to go to San Antonio first, the main route is along Interstate 10. There are a few small towns just off the interstate that may be of interest (Shiner, Gonzales), but I can't think of anywhere to stay along that route.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over location

I agree, it's only about a 3 hour drive to either place from Galveston. However, if you really want to explore and drive around our Texas Highways, then here is a link for some small town B&B in case you are interested.

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/texas.html

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop over location

As previously noted, there really aren't many towns at which to stop for fine dining along the way. There are decent home-cooked meals, good BBQ, etc., but no real choice of restaurants between either Galveston and San Antonio or Austin (other than in Houston and nearby Katy). The only towns worth spending the night in IMHO are the previously-mentioned Brenham or LaGrange (if you take the I-10 route to Austin), or Columbus on the way to San Antonio, and the latter is hardly worth stopping for.

By the way, Galveston to San Antonio is close to a 5-hour drive; to Austin, I'd count on at least 3.5 hours, probably more, as you need to go through Houston to get on your way to either.

Have a lovely trip.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 15:13
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop over location

I just noticed a typo error--Galveston to San Antonio is about a 4-hour drive, not a 5-hour drive (unless you catch rush-hour traffic). Sorry for typo error.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop over location

Well, strictly speaking, you don't have to go through Houston to get to San Antonio from Galveston. If you really don't want to drive on the interstates there are some small back roads that would get you to San Antonio--but that would really be a circuitous route with very little to justify it. I agree with the others--take the most direct route and get to San Antonio and enjoy your time there. You won't really be missing anything by not driving through lots of teeny towns.

Between SA and Austin is a slightly different story IMO. While I-35 is the most direct route between the two, traffic is often horrendous on that road. That would be the segment of the journey that I would consider not using the interstate. The two cities are relatively close together, so you could take a longer time for that leg.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
110 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop over location

You could toodle over to Smithville which is where they filmed Hope Floats with Sandra Bullock. Bastrop is very pleasant and it's right up the road. They are very nice small towns in rural America.

And in between you can see the devastation of the huge forest fire we had a couple of years ago. It is a few miles down the country highway. It is a sight to see!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
110 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop over location

I also would like to add that if instead of Austin you choose to go to San Antonio, I highly recommend that you take a little excursion up into the Garner State Park area. It is just beautiful up there in the hill country. I think you would really enjoy it. Though it is more of a nature scene than a activity scene. :o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop over location

Thanks for all your helpful replies, Husband now conceeds that it's better to travel straight to either Austin or San Antonio from Gavleston and use the interstate so we have more time there. We are not tied to any specific dates / places so that will come down to where we want to be on a particular day of the week

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,227 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stop over location

You have chosen wisely...Love your beautiful country!