We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

We are presently planning a three week trip to Texas in May 2015.

We have visited Texas before a few years ago when we did a two week trip; Houston - San Antonio - Hill Country - Port Aransas - Galveston.

This time we are planning on flying in and out of Dallas/Fort Worth. Our route so far is; Dallas/Fort Worth - Austin - Hill Country - Del Rio - Big Bend NP - Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa area.

We are planning to take our time, spending a few days at most stops and trying not to drive more than 3-4 hours between locations and no driving at night.

We enjoy visiting National and State Parks and small towns but we are not fond of big cities but willing to make exceptions for Dallas/Forth Worth and Austin.

I would like some advice in relation to our route back to Dallas/Fort Worth from the Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa area.

The options seem to be to take Interstate 20 through Odessa and Midland to Abilene or take Highway 67 through San Angelo and Highway 83 towards Dallas/Fort Worth.

Are there any benefits of one route over the other in relation to scenery or interesting towns to stop over and sights to see.

Any advice is most welcome.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

US67 to San Angelo, US277N to Abilene is more interesting imo. Along the way are US Army 19th century frontier forts from Texas' Wild West days: Ft. Stockton, Ft. Concho in San Angelo and Ft. Chadbourne between S Angelo and Abilene. Frontier Texas museum in Abilene is excellent.

I would drive further than your preference to get past an area of inflated lodging prices caused by influx of oil field workers. Stay in Abilene or in Buffalo Gap which is a short detour on hwy 89. The latter is a little gem. The historic area has a building constructed in part using canon balls recovered from the US Civil War Vicksburg battlefield site. Elm Creek B&B is a good place to stay there. Perini Ranch outside B Gap is one of the state's best steakhouses.

Next day take I20 to Ft. Worth or if in no rush go via Albany, Graham and Jacksboro which are nice small towns with more historic frontier forts along the way.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

Thanks for this information texhills, just what we are looking for.

I will have a close look at your suggestions as we are interested in the military history in the area.

thanks again.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

If you are interested in military history, I highly recommend the excellent book titled "Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History" by S. C. Gwynne. Very well written, it tells the oft times bloody story of the Anglo conquest of Texas.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

Thanks for the recommendation texhills

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

Highway 67 goes through some mostly flat, brush wilderness terrain, with interesting mesas. The road is two lanes until San Angelo and serves oil field areas, so expect traffic from heavy trucks, especially around Big Lake. Get gas in McCamey. The last few times I've been in Big Lake there have been long lines at the gas station. The King Mountain windfarm is just past McCamey. There are also windfarms around Buffalo Gap.

You might consider a stop at Carlsbad Caverns is southeastern New Mexico, or perhaps Sonora Caverns, which is reasonably close to the Fort Davis area.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

thanks Wally,

had a look at the Sonora Caverns website and it looks worth a stop as it appears that there is not a great deal to see of interest between Fort Stockton and San Angelo via highway 67.

Am I right in saying we will need to take Interstate 10 from Fort Stockton to the caverns then head north on highway 277 to San Angelo ? Any other things of interest on this route ?

thanks again.

7. Re: West Texas back to Dallas/Fort Worth - best route ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:16