We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please!! help with route plan

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Please!! help with route plan

Hi I'm travelling to Utah on

July 1st from Vegas.I have seven days to play with and have to be back in Vegas on the eighth day.

So far I;ve booked Springdale for two nights to allow a relaxed drive fom Vegas and the next day to see Zion

Day three is booked at Rubys for Bryce and I then want to drive Highway 12 through Grand staircase,Ive booked in Torrey to see some of Capitol reef.

What would you do with the the reamainig 3 days.Do I have time to drive to Moab or could I head to Monument valley.Would I be better spending more time on the three parks already booked?.

I,m not sure how long to allow to get back to Vegas?Monument valley is a long way to come from in one hit??

Any help gratefully received

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please!! help with route plan

If I were you, I'd concentrate on southwestern Utah (as you already are) on this trip. By adding Moab or Monument Valley to your trip you'll be stretching yourself too much.

What I'd recommend is maybe change your date for Torrey and stay a night in Escalante or Boulder and really get into Highway 12 (by that, I mean get OFF Highway 12!) You've got the Burr Trail, the hole-in-the-rock road, numerous other delicious treasures (Grand Gulch, etc.) --ask around with the locals on their favorite places. I once spent 2 days just hanging out in Boulder -- it's well worth the time to explore this region. The beauty extends out past the road, trust me.

There is another great place in that vicinity that would make your return trip rewarding. The Fremont Indian State Park http://www.utah.com/stateparks/fremont.htm

would be worth stopping for part of a day, with a stay in Cedar City/St. George on the way back to Vegas. From Torrey, just head north-ish to the freeway, and you'll see signs for the Park.

Moab/Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point/Fisher Towers should be a complete week in and of itself, but if you really want to see it (if you don't think you'll be back for a while, then you should!) you could make it there in a day from Torrey. The drive from Moab to Vegas is one long day. You *can* do a quick Canyonlands/Arches day once in Moab for a quick (whet your whistle, as they say) visit. The good thing about July is the days are long, and the red rock is at it's most beautiful at dawn and dusk.

As a last thought, I would like to warn you (I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here!) that the desert area of Utah is very HOT in July! The best times for exploring are mornings and evenings -- the mid-day is for indoor sights/napping. :o)

Please enjoy yourself in my beautiful state.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please!! help with route plan

Thanks for some great tips very much appreciated

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please!! help with route plan

Maybe, for your three days, drive from Torrey to Monument Valley. Possible visits are Natural Bridges, Muley Point, Moki Dugway and Gooseneck SP. An see the Hat in Mexican Hat.

Next day visit to Monument Valley in the morning. Then drive to Page and visit Antelope Canyon. Last day back from Page to Las Vegas, or drive from Monument Valley directly to Grand Canyon South Rim and last day back to Las Vegas. Yes, it 's a lot of driving and if you don't want to drive that long, better follow Pixie's advice. For ut 12 look at www.scenicbyway12.com. Also visit Capitol Reef NP just east of Torrey. Great NP! You can drive back to Las Vegas and visit Cedar Breaks NM, also a good place to visit. On your way to LV maybe visit Valley of Fire SP. I would leave Moab for another trip.

Tet

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please!! help with route plan

thanks tet

5. Re: Please!! help with route plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 12:25