We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

Would the paved portions of these be ok in a regular hire car?should I hire an suv instead? driving highway 12 in july.Thanks for any suggestions

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

The paved parts? Why would you ever need an SUV for paved roads?

If you mean unpaved, well, it depends. The Burr Trail is currently pretty bumpy down the zig zags though they will probably blade it before the tourist season really begins. There was a pretty good rock fall on it a few weeks ago but even though they put up a closed sign it was perfectly passable. I don't know the condition of the Hole in the Rock road, never been down it, it's on my list...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,905 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

The road known as the Burr Trail is paved up to but not after reaching Capitol Reef NP. You could certainly enjoy the trail in a rental car up to and through Long canyon. It is worth making the trip.

The Hole in the Rock road is graded and at least up to Devils Garden in very good shape (we didn't go further can't verify that).

However, check your rental agreement and if you decide to go down a dirt road regardless of whether you are covered then at least know what you will be charged for should anything happen on that dirt road.

If you want to go any distance on the Hole in the Rock road I would get a car / rental agreement that will allow you to do that.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

We spent four days on Hole in the Rock Road last year. We were in the Southwest for two weeks and we rented a regular car (didn't want to shell out the $$ for a SUV for the whole two weeks). When we were there, the road was okay to Devil's Garden and after that it was seriously washboarded. Because we had a rental car (a PT Cruiser no less), we took it very easy and drove quite slowly on the road to avoid any problems. We went to the trailhead for Spooky/Peekaboo/Brimstone Gulches and Coyote Gulch and also visited Devil's Garden and Dance Hall Rock. We were able to make it all these sites just fine with our car. There was one side road we started down to go see an arch, but turned around because we thought it was a little risky with the rental car.

The condition of the road can change, so I would check on conditions before you go to help you make your decision.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

thanks everyone for your help

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,905 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

PS. about the rock on the Burr trail. We saw the Road Closed sign and wondered about it since we had been told at the Escalante visitors center it was open (granted wrong park, but closest information). The sign said in great big letters, CLOSED, and in hand written smaller writing "passable for cars and trucks only".

The rock was huge, about the size of a semi-trailer, and came down on one of the turns on the switchbacks. There was room for us to go between it, but anything longer would not have turning manueverability.

And the road was in great shape, except for the 10 miles south of the switchbacks which had not been graded or graveled or apparently looked at this year.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

On my maps, Burr Trail, at the easterly end comes down the zig-zag onto the bottom of the Waterpocket Fold. The road ends at Notom Road. Notom Road runs north and south. At the north end is highway 12 about 20 miles east of Torrey and at the south end is Bull Frog. I've sometimes seen and heard this as the "Notom-Bull Frog Road."

Are you intending to drive on that road? Or, are you intending to get to the bottom of the "zig-zag" and turn around and go back to Boulder?

The reason I ask is it's a much different road. Notom Road has many places that are soft sand. Mostly it's OK but after a rain those become mud holes. I saw someone stuck in the mud last summer but my 4WD Jeep Cherokee went through; scary place to get stuck.

If you're planning on driving the Notom Road I suggest you post that question on the Torrey Utah forum. Killer Bob frequents that forum and you want his opinion on Notom Road. He lives there! If you don't hear from him in a week we can give you his e-mail address.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

I thought I'd give you a separate posting to the Hole in The Rock Road. Everything the other posters mentioned is right on. That road is subject to flooding and wash out in a heavy rain. Sometimes it washes out and it takes months to get a road crew in to fix it. When you arrive in the town of Escalante there is a visitor center operated by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) that knows everything about the unpaved road conditions. You can check there too for local rain forecasts. They give out nice local maps and directions, too, to help you find the slot canyons.

How far down the Hole-in-the-Rock Road are you planning to drive? To the end?

Where are you planning to spend the night?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

Thanks for the great info

I think I'll probably just drive on the good section and turn round.We are staying in Boulder.I dont think any of the hire companies will cover me for off road driving especially as I'm picking up the rental in LA and driving across the Joshua tree and Mohave deserts to Vegas first.just want toget a flavour of the grand staircase-Escalante area off the highway

thanks again.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

Feel free to post on the Joshua Tree NM forum in California.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hole in the rock rd/Burr trail in a hire car.

I have a little different idea for you to explore the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (GSENM) "off road". Hire a guide!

In the town of Escalante is: Escalante Outback Adventures. They have a retail store for hiking and camping supplies in addition to the hiking guide service. I've been hiking with them twice. Two years ago I was there but the rain turned to mud and he could not lead any hikes.

They go out to the best places. They go to places you could never find on your own. They usually go to Spooky and Peek-a-boo slot canyons once a week. Phipps Arch is a great hike. I once went out with them on a sunset hike to a bluff a thousand feet above the Escalante River. We had wine and cheese.

They operate a web-site: utahcanyons.com. There's a lot of content there but you'll find a link to their hiking and guide service. You can communicate with them via e-mail. They'll want some kind of reservation in advance. Find out their schedule, etc.