We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 12 in an RV

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hwy 12 in an RV

As part of an RV trip, friends and I will be going from Moab to Torrey to Bryce. I have a 23 foot RV but my friends have a 37 footer plus a tow car. Is Hwy 12 RV friendly? Will it be scary, too curvy or narrow? Another issue, will it be nearly impossible to stop at the different viewpoints, or do most viewpoints have large parking lots?

I'm wondering if when we stay in Torrey we should just drive the car about 50 miles down Hwy 12 and back. Then when we stay in Bryce, we could drive up the lower half and back. This would be mainly to visit viewpoints if the answer to my question above is that we couldn't park the RVs at the viewpoints. Or do you think we will be satisfied with the view just driving without stopping?

I'll sure appreciate any thoughts on this.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Drove Hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey last year and I'm sure I saw several big RVs on that route. The road is good and wide (though I'm from the UK so all US road seem huge!) with few, if any, really tight curves. The views are amazing of course, but I remember the pull-outs being quite small so that might be a problem. The gradients aren't too bad. I think you should go for it - traffic is slow as everyone is enjoying the view. But I've never driven an RV so what do I know?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Thanks Robin. That makes me feel more comfortable. Maybe we'll drive the car down Hwy 12 a little bit from Torrey to check out a couple viewpoints.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Hi Janss

I agree with Robin. No problems driving ut12. Highest point will be at 9600 ft. south of Torrey. Best time of day to visit the stretch south of Torrey is in the afternoon with sweeping views on the Capitol Reef area. Also a great spot for sunset. Between Torrey and Bryce make a stop for coffee and pie between milemarkers 73 and 74 at Kiva Koffeehouse. You already knew of course but here's the site: www.scenicbyway12.com

Have fun!

Tet

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Large RVs drive UT12 all the time but I can't imagine it would be much fun in a 37 footer, certainly it couldn't stop most places. Drive the car south form Torrey to Boulder then down the Burr Trail to the end of Long Canyon (you'll know when you get there). Unless there is something you especially want to see north of Bryce, or you have lots of time, I wouldn't drive up 12, it's certainly nice but not vital.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Thanks, Tet. I was hoping you'd show up here with your words of wisdom. And thanks killer bob too! Both of your posts add great info to my itinerary.

You're right, Tet. I am familiar with that website.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Hi Guys

VERY interesting question - we are also going to be travellling route 12 this summer - how would a 27 foot rv go - it sounds like the road itself is okay - but what about the pull-outs?

Thanks

4kiwitravelers

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Hi, I'm not familiar with this route, but as a fellow RV'er am trying to help out!

I found some references to Hwy 12 in Utah on RVnet, here is the direct link:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/search/parms/sw{Hwy%2012}|km{exact}|kl{m}|fm{}|pd{365}|ma{}/sr/1.cfm

Hope you can get more information there from folks who drive MH's and tow trailers :-)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

Thank you for your input

regards

4kiwitravelers

9. Re: Hwy 12 in an RV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 13:17