We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

torrey to cortez

London, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
torrey to cortez

please help with the best route to drive from torrey to cortez (mesa verde). we were going to drive to moab first from torrey and stop there but have had to change our plans and go to moab after cortez. thanks for any info

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: torrey to cortez

The most obvious route through Hanksville and down 95 to Blanding is the best. From Blanding you can either go north to the 491 turn off or wind your way through the Indian reservation from Bluff to Aneth etc. Neither option is spectacular but I slightly favour the southern route (the Indian roads are fine, two lane, paved, a little bumpy in places but very drivable). Don't speed on the reservations.

If you can I strongly recommend that you take 145 from Cortez to Telluride and then head west to Moab, much better than the 491/Monticello route.

London, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: torrey to cortez

cheers bob

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: torrey to cortez

Hi Dracaj. Great to hear from you again. I agree with Bob about the route but the stretch Bluff to Cortez is rather boring. Also keep in mind no services between Hanksville and Blanding. Don't miss Hite Overlook on that stretch. I also agree about the route via Telluride between Cortez and Moab but it will be a long, but scenic detour. We once did a daytrip Cortez-Telluride-Ouray-Durango-Cortez and we needed a day to recover-lol- but it was gorgeous. You won't hit Ouray and Durango on the drive to Moab though.

Tet

London, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: torrey to cortez

thanks tet this is our 3rd trip to utah,so we decided to see a few more different areas such as capitol reef, and a side trip to mesa verde. then back to my favourite (MOAB), only problem this year we have had to come in june so its going to be hot but i am sure it will be the best 3 weeks of my year

5. Re: torrey to cortez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 23:21