We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV/Weather/Clothes

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
RV/Weather/Clothes

Hi All

Over the last several weeks I have checked out the forums and have learnt heaps about what to see etc. Also a bit on the do's and don'ts of RVing. Now I have a question.

With only a week to go before we fly out to start our seven week adventure I have been watching the weather closely. It is still snowing in some parts!!!! My internet live weather link indicates it is snowing in Bryce today!!!

I am used to packing for wearing layers - here in NZ you can get four seasons in one day easy. But I had not intended bring my winter woollies - but looking at what your weather has been doing AM I SILLY NOT TO PACK THEM. We all have a light jacket and a warmer polo fleece each - put do I bring heavier tops and hat/scarves/gloves etc.

The next part is re-bedding. The RV company hires you a package - great - but when I asked them if we could hire more they said no as it was peak season and they only had enough to go around. So I am bring our sleeping bags. We are used to camping - even out in the low temps - BUT I HATE BEING COLD AT NIGHT - am I mad bringing them or with the way the weather has been - is it a good idea. A lot of the camping sites we are using do not have power so we will not have heating at night. Also before you say buy some - I am too 'tight' with my cash to go out and buy something I already have.

One other quick thing - has anyone heard an opening date for Cedars Break?

cheers

A very excited 'Kiwi'

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
695 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Hey Kiwi's

The only thing I can say about the weather is that this cold, snow, and rain has been QUITE unusual. Perhaps you could pack light, and pick up a few wool blankets if the weather fails to warm up.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

The weather in Southern California has been very strange. Snowing in the mountains here today. Never happens in May.I live at the beach, and it was 85 degrees last weekend, and cold and raining today. As for your trip, I would wait to buy more stuff until you get to the states.It may be very hot next week, who can tell? Your Rv will be equipped with a heater, most likely propane, so if your campsite has no power, it will not matter. Plus you will have a generator to make your own power.I would not haul sleeping bags thousands of miles here. You could buy a cheap one here, and avoid the hassle. You could crank up the heat in your RV so high ,you will sweat!

I envy how much vacation time you have!I know they call them campers, but Rvs are far from camping. You will never stay in a tent again!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Ah dez, but nearly all campgrounds and parks prohibit use of a generator during the hours between 10:00 pm (or sometimes 11:00) and 8:00 am.

4kiwitravellers, I was going to mention this on the AZ forum, but since I am here now, and it's in this state . . . are you aware of the procedure about going through the Mt Carmel tunnel between Zion and Bryce?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Hi Half-Brit

Yes - have done it before - though that was about 12 years ago - BC (before children). I have read the Zion National Park website too. Hopefully the kids will find it a novelty.

But thanks for the headsup on it. The first time we were in a tiny camper so it was not such an issue - but this one is about 27 foot so we will do the one way bit.

cheers

Kiwi

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

I'm not going to claim to be a camper expert, but I've used one and I've been asked to help service a couple more so I feel I have a bit of experience with them. The RV's I've been involved in used the battery to power the heater in them. You may need to run the generator occasionally during the day to recharge the battery or it will recharge from the engine alternator while you are driving. Some also have a solar charger to keep the battery topped up while sitting. You shold have no need for your sleeping bags unless you decide to "sleep out under the stars" some night.

Have a fun trip!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

Cedar Breaks NM is set to reopen today, may 24. So will be the visitor center.

7. Re: RV/Weather/Clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 11:17