We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Hi Everyone,

I need a place to eat lunch between Bryce and Grand Canyon North Rim. I try to avoid fast food as much as possible but I am certainly not looking for haute cusine. Sandwiches, soup, a nice salad or even hot entre are all good in my book. I love Mexican, Italian and well basically all food.

The closer to Bryce the better without it being Ruby's Inn.

TIA for your help.

Only 16 more days!!! Yippeeeee!!!!!!

Karen

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Maybe look in Kanab UT and Fredonia AZ. You may also want pack a picnic lunch and have that somewhere along the way.

Here's a link to Trip Advisor reviews of dining in Kanab.... tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g57030-Kanab_Uta…

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

I believe Kanab is your best bet. Several restaurants there. Bryce is a terrible place to get something good to eat. Theres a diner at the Thunderbird lodge at Carmel Junction, don't have any idea how it is. For a candy fix, I like to stop at Moqui Cave and get Bat Guano jelly beans. They are pretty good! Huckleberry I believe?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

How about a picnic along the route? We never have lunch after that full breakfast you Americans provide. Maybe p/u stuff at the Jacob Lake Inn. Dinner at Thunderbird Lodge was tasty and we have been to a place in Kanab but forgot the name and can't find it in my notes either, sorry Karen.

Btw, last time we had a picnic in that area was at Coral Pink Sanddunes SP. There a worse places for that. Only 15 days now...

Tet

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Hi Kajo,

On our recent trip we ate lunch at the Bryce Lodge and it was pretty good. The salads were large and my daughter had a salmon burger that was pretty good, too. We also drove from the Bryce area to the GC North Rim, but we made a detour to see Cedar Breaks. We left the Cottonwood Meadow Ranch (where we stayed - great, by the way) at about 10:00, drove to Cedar Breaks, back tracked out of the park, had lunch in Duck Creek Village at the Cedar Mountain Grill (nothing fancy, but good hamburgers and grilled chicken sandwiches) and then made our way to GCNR. We stopped at Moqui Cave (note: there is a charge to go in, not much, but their site online doesn't mention this) It is interesting to walk in the Cave, but keep in mind it is very "kitchsy" if that's the right way to say it. My mom and I thought it was great, but my 15 year old didn't quite see the humor. We also stopped at the Kaibab Plateau Visitor Center. The rangers there were great and there's some great info about the area. We got to the GCNR around 4:00, checked in and got reservations to eat dinner in the lodge.

We never had any problems with the altitude, but we did take it easy our first day and we drank lots of water. As a fellow Jax person - I'm sure you'll appreciate how funny it was to us when the locals in Springdale thought the humidity was bad! The afternoon showers are rolling in here and I finally get the whole "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" thing. We had a fantastic time and I'm sure you will too.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

No need for backtracking Cedar Breaks if you should have taken the drive from Panguitch via Panguitch Lake to Cedar Breaks and drive 14 back. Must be for next time though...

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I think that I may need to eat before I get to Fredonia or Jacob Lake. I am starting out in Escalante that morning and then touring Bryce before driving on to GCNR. I think the earliest I will get to GC will be about 4.

I still haven't decided what I am going to do. Maybe I will just see when the time comes. I an sure I won't starve to death. Unless I can get a sandwich somewhere buying picnic food for 1 is not very practical. I may have some veggies and bread leftover from my stop the previous day as Mesa Farm.

Cedar Breaks will be my first offical stop on my vacation. I am flying into LV and then driving up to SLC but am stopping overnight at Cedar City. I should be able to get there early enough to go to Cedar Breaks and then drive up to Brianhead Peak.

ceftaf, I keep meeting Jacksonville folks on the TA forums. I hope you had a great time on your trip. I am so excited about mine. Just 14 more days to go. I am also a little nervous as this will be the longest trip I have ever taken by myself. Except for a few days here and there I haven't really traveled much on my own.

Anyway, Thanks everybody

Karen

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Hey Karen, I haven't been here but someone mentioned it on a thread where I asked about ice cream but I noticed they also have a nice lunch/dinner menu.

http://www.threebearscreamerycottage.com/

Hope you have a fantastic trip -we leave in 12 days - We are all getting excited - Even my DH who never shows excitement.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Karen, There are places to eat all along the way. You could try Bryce Canyon Pines if you are still in the Bryce vicinity. There are little places along Hwy 12, at the junction with 89 and in the small towns along 89, such as Hatch, or Orderville and Glendale (Buffalo Bistro). The food at Mt Carmel Junction's Thunderbird Restaurant might be what you are looking for.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
871 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

Thanks Laura and kbecjeans for your suggestions. I will check them out.

I always eat something for breakfast but it is usually just a bagel or toast. So by lunch I am hungry. Also I get shakey if I wait too long to eat so I don't think that Jacob's Lake or Fredonia are good options for me. I have heard of Bryce Canyon Pines and Laura I will check out the Three Bears.

Thanks again,

Karen

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bryce to GCNR place for lunch

I recall that there's a supermarket just north of the main intersection in Kanab. Can't recall if there's a deli there, but you could pick up some fresh food for lunch.