We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New hours for State offices

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,498 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
New hours for State offices

I was going to post this a few days ago but forgot.

This won't affect most visitors, but you should know that this week, Utah will go to a 4-day week in many state agencies to try to save the energy costs of running buildings, vehicles, equipment, etc. This will be tested for a year and then evaluated to see if it should become permanent.

deseretnews.com/article/…00.html

Most ADMINISTRATIVE offices will operate from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Mon-Thur. This includes the Department of Motor Vehicles, Forestry & Fire, State Parks, State Historical Society, Health Services, and most others. However, parks will be open to the public every day, state universities will operate 5 days, and essential services like law enforcement, wildland fire, ports of entry, and highway maintenance will be provided.

This is for state agencies only. It does not affect Federal agencies, cities, or private entities. The emergency number for people having problems regarding the state office schedule will be (801) 538-1808.

http://www.utah.gov/index.html

There are several welcome centers on main highways, and I haven't determined if those will be affected. I have a feeling, in a tourist-sensitive state, they will still be staffed every day. When I find out, I'll let you know.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New hours for State offices

I'll be surprised, though not amazed - people are such sheep, if this makes it through the year. At our post office a notice was posted about the DMV being part of the 'Working 4 Utah' program and it took only a few hours before somebody wrote the word 'Not' in front of it. Rural Rebels!

Thanks for posting the info.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,498 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New hours for State offices

Well, the answer is....there isn't a "one-fits-all" answer. The welcome centers are run by the State Office of Tourism. Their administrative functions will close on Fridays like other state agencies. However, state visitor centers are considered an essential service and can stay open. These include one near the Capitol in Salt Lake City and others on main roads into the state.

The outlying centers are partly staffed by volunteers from the local communities. So heir schedules will be determined locally. I guess this means that visitors driving in should find them open during normal daytime hours.

For those who are familiar with the one on I-15 near St. George, it has temporarily moved because of highway construction. It's still convenient to I-15, south of the main part of the city.

And of course, this does not affect local chambers of commerce, the big SLC visitor center in the Salt Palace, LDS Church or other private entities that have visitor centers.

Enjoy your visit to beautiful Utah!

3. Re: New hours for State offices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 00:15