We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

Day 11 - August 18, 2008 -Horseback Riding – Peek a Boo Trail, Bryce Canyon National Park

Words can’t describe today it was INCREDIBLE – today we took a half day mule ride down the Peek a Boo trail into Bryce Canyon National Park - we took the afternoon tour. When we got out to the coral area you could hear thunder in the distance and the sky didnt' look to promising. The head wrangler asked if everyone was prepared to get wet! And if not he would refund you $$ right now but not once we started riding if you turned back. No one was giving up their ride! We were lucky as only 12 people signed up for this afternoon tour as I guess they can take up to 30 riders at a time.

It was an exhausting, and scary at times ride but it was GREAT! We all enjoyed the ride and the colors of the canyon. Since we aren’t hikers at all this was a great way to get down into the canyon and see what it really looked like. We had two great wranglers that took us into the canyon. Our mules names were: Tanya – Johnny, Gary – Gates, Laura – Judge, Gerry – Rosco. On the way into the canyon the wranglers had Tanya in front of Gerry, then me, a wrangler and then Gary. I think they all knew how nervous I was. Jeez I really make myself sound like a wimp don’t I on this vacation – but to tell you all the truth, I am but I did all the things I never would of done if it weren’t for Gary and Tanya. Any how, Gerry’s mule kept getting to close to Tanya’s and Tanya’s mule wanted to kick Gerry’s. It frustrated them both some on the ride down the canyon. Gerry’s mule also likes to walk right on the edge of all the trails. All the mules like to walk on the edge but Gerry’s looked like it was going to walk off the edge half the time. They paired me with the right mule he was gentle and knew I was scared to death of the edge he walk most of the time in the middle of the trail. Gary's mule they said was stubborn and he said yup just like him. After reaching the bottom and taking a short break they switched the order of Tanya and Gerry and their mules got along much better and I believe the ride was better for both of them. We all had sore legs and butts when we were done but I dont' think any of us would of traded the experience for anything.

I can't believe how good my pictures came out since all I did was reach my hand up and shoot most of the time. As I was holding on for dear life!

Oh and the threatening rain from the beginning of our trip never bothered us but once we got to our car guess what it started to rain.

It was one of the most AMAZING days of our trip, one I will not soon forget if ever. I'd also do it again if I ever go back.

We purchased our pictures at the end of the ride that the head wrangler takes part way down the trail when you start out.

Oh and if you take this tour - don't forget to tip your wranglers, doesn't have to be alot of $$ but if you feel they made sure you were safe and enjoyed your ride give them something a little extra.

I don't even remember if we ate dinner tonight after our ride but, we did have lunch before our ride at the lodge - they had a great taco bar, 3 of us had the taco bar and one had the tuna bruschetta. We were all very satisfied with our meal at the Bryce Canyon Lodge and the price was actually reasonable too.

Again we watched an old movie together before all hitting the hay.

I think today deserves its own post so you can all take it in. Man I loved this NP.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

Hi Irgardener,

I am gald you enjoyed your mule ride into Bryce Canyon. It was the highlight of our trip!

Will you be posting pictures soon???

I know there are many here that would love to see them.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

If someone tells me how I will gladly post some of our pictures. I have on my lodging reviews but don't know how on a post.

I live in the land of dial up so I'd have to do it on my lunch at work.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

I use Picasa on Google. I do not know how it would be on dial up though.

Here is a link to our vacation pictures to give you a idea: http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdwTA

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,176 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

Bryce is an amazing place. And it makes such a difference to take the time to get down into the canyon and see it from the base of those hoodoos. Whether you go on foot, or on a mule, do take the time to experience it that way. Obviously Laura enjoyed it!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

You know there is an ongoing debate about which is better Zions or Bryce,,,and I tend to lean towards Zion's myself. But I certainly understand why people prefer Bryce,,,what an amazing place it is.

Thanks again for all your impressions.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,176 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

Kbecjeans, The debate will no doubt go on forever. But IMHO, they are both wondrous places, and part of what creates the debate, is that they are so unique and so entirely different from each other, and yet so near to each other.

What was God thinking when he put them where he did? Was He too tired to carry one a little further away? Or did He just want to let people know that he thought Utah should be a special place forever?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

<<What was God thinking when he put them where he did? Was He too tired to carry one a little further away? Or did He just want to let people know that he thought Utah should be a special place forever?>>

:-)

Well the park is called "Zion"- a place of refuge and sanctuary". I don't know how it got it's name, but I'm pretty sure those pioneers thought they'd arrived.

And Bryce was just to prove that diversity is good :-)

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

Thank you for all the reports. I enjoyed reading all your questions a month or two ago. The answers gave me advice, too.

How about a report on the ice cream places???

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

DannyS - ROFLMA about the Ice Cream - we only go ice cream once in Kanab at the place with the 3 Bears theme. It was okay.

I still need to finish our reports. Will try to get to it soon.

Sorting out all these pictures is a huge job!

10. Re: Our 15 Night Trip of Lifetime Adventure - Installment #8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 09:28