We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

We're two weeks away from another 8 days in magical Southern Utah and once again we couldn't have done it without all of you!

Last year we had to cancel a trip down to the Caribbean due to a hurricane so we said "let's go to the Grand Canyon." Neither of us had been out west so we we're stunned to find so many unique locations and actually surprised to learn most of them were in Utah...who knew :)! That might sound silly but we're Florida natives and spend our time in the Caribbean.

Obviously we were overwhelmed by all the choices and we wouldn't have had half the great time without the advice from people like Tet14, dez40, kbecjeans, killer bob, yuccahead, ducs-of-hazard, noel-donna, and many others (sorry if I missed you). Here are the pics from last year:

cwwayne.zenfolio.com

This time we're spending 8 days and plan on seeing places like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Monument Valley for the first time while reaquainting ourselves with Bryce and Zion.

Be on the lookout for a long review when we get back!

So once again thanks everyone!

Chris

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

Always great to hear!

Was it the BVI you missed out on or is my memory off?

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

Yep...great memory!

The BVI's are our favorite spot on the planet but Utah really made an amazing impression on us. We also hope to get up to Jackson Hole/Teton/Yellowstone in the future for some skiing and hiking. And Yosemite. And Italy. And Switzerland. And France. And New Zeland. And all over the South Pacific.

OK...I'm off to win the lottery!

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

Told ya you'd be coming back!

I remember we talked about favorite places and I loved the BVI. It's remarkable how, though entirely different, the BVI and Utah are somewhat similar to me in the way the vacation flows, the moving from place to place (in a car instead of a boat), down time meeting new people, seeing gorgeous scenery, times of isolation to reflect...etc. This is going to be a great trip for you circling further out into different places.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

I just got back from a week in Zion and Bryce.The weather was great, the hiking was awesome! I was one of the few Americans up there,but had a great time meeting a lot of friendly and interesting people from all over the world (mostly Germany). I can't wait to go back. Have a good trip!!

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

ducs-of-hazard,

You were right :)!

I see the similarities you're talking about except one thing...not nearly as much drinking! No Soggy Dollar, Cow Wreck, or Willy T type places :). That's a good thing as that's not what it's about out there. I remember after a week of hiking we didn't like the the few hours we spent walking around before out flight out of Vegas. It was loud, plastic, and tacky if that makes sense.

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

dez40,

Being for Florida we're used to tourists but we were surprised to see so many foreigners out west...probably 1.5 to 1 in their favor. Thought that was neat.

Glad you had a great time!

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

Makes sense to me, I can only handle a day or two max in Vegas.

Do you go through St Thomas for the BVI? That was a quite a letdown comparatively.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
309 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

went to zion last may. my first time in utah. im so hooked. now im planning a trip to moab/arches/canyonland.

i also want to thank everyone who helped-many of the same folks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

Chris, glad you are coming back. You'll find it the same and yet completely different. Everytime I go down there I am amazed all over again how awesome it is. Hope you have a great time.

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two weeks away! Thanks everyone (and some other thoughts)!

ducs,

We've always gone the St. Thomas route to the BVI as it's cheapen than flying to Beef Island.

Agree with how you feel. We've taken two cruises to St. Thomas...one time we rented a boat and hit The Indians, The Caves, and White Bay...the last time we took the ferry over to St. John which much more like the BVI's.

Nancy,

It's addictive :)!

Kbecjeans,

Thanks...we're so excited!