We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a Trip Itinerary, Please!

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
770 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for a Trip Itinerary, Please!

We are visiting Utah from April 10-17, 2009. We are flying into SLC on 4/10, and then we want to visit Canyonlands and Arches as well as see some sights around SLC. We are flying out of SLC on 4/17. We have never been to Utah, so can anyone recommend a 6-7 day itinerary that would incorporate these two parks, and possibly some sites across the border in Colorado, as well as anything to do in SLC? We don't ski, would like to hike, possibly mountain bike, and go whitewater rafting. Also, any hotel recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a Trip Itinerary, Please!

Just a few thoughts. You'll get lots of responses on this.

The best part of your trip is Canyonlands and Arches. Don't compromise it too much by going over to Colorado. And you can spend one night in Salt Lake and that's enough.

Your dates fall over Easter. I'm going to guess that you'll have a VERY difficult time finding a place to stay in Moab up through Easter Sunday. It's Jeep Safari Week in Moab, where thousands of Jeeps descend on Moab's redrock. It is cool to see, but it's a real mass of humanity and machine.

http://www.moab-utah.com/jeep/

Your alternatives during this time would be to do your night in Salt Lake City, or consider Green River (45 minutes away) and spend a day visiting the San Rafael area including such great hiking spots as Little Wild Horse Canyon, Utah's most accessible slot canyon.

Jeep Safari is over by Sunday and you can safely enter Moab. We like the River Canyon Lodge, a former Microtel Inn in downtown Moab. You'll see it doesn't get great reviews, but we stay there 3-4 times a year and have NEVER had a bad experience. I feel it's the best value and incredibly close to everything in town.

If you do want to venture to Colorado, you could go to Mesa Verde to see Anasazi cliff dwellings. Or you could go to Fruita (near Grand Junction) for great mountain biking. But I think you're better off staying in Moab.

Apr. 10 - SLC

Apr. 11 - Green River

Apr. 12-13-14-15-16 - Moab

Apr. 17 - Back to SLC and depart

Five nights in Moab will give you a great opportunity to REALLY explore Canyonlands and Arches. It's a great time of year for biking, hiking and river rafting.

Have fun.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a Trip Itinerary, Please!

Colorado National Monument is a beautiful, scenic park with short easy hikes quite close to Arches, off I-70 near Grand Junction. There may have been more difficult hikes, sorry, wasn't on my agenda. The scenery here is completely different from Arches and from Canyonlands.

I drove from Grand Jct in the early morning to Moab, and was directed to a secondary road that went along the Colorado River and was one of the most scenic drives I've been on. If I am not mistaken, it was Route 128.

In SLC, the State Capitol building, the Univ of Utah campus and art museum, Temple Square, and a drive out to the Great Salt Lake, perhaps midafternoon till sunset. 1-1/2 days to do it all.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a Trip Itinerary, Please!

IMO - I'd do two nights in Torrey enroute to Moab to see Capitol Reef NP - I think 5 nights in Moab is too many. We enjoyed Moab but I don't think I would like 5 nights there.

We did a great hummer sunset tour while in Moab which was exciting and lots of fun. Highly recommend Moab Adventures.

If you decide to detour to Capitol Reef - Id stay in the Cowboy Homestead Cabins - they were great during our stay.

What ever you decide have a wonderful trip its the most beautiful part of the country I have ever been too.

Safe travels.

4. Re: Ideas for a Trip Itinerary, Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 14:22