We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Valley of the gods area?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Food Valley of the gods area?

Hi

Hubby and I are planning to drive from Kayenta to Mexican Hat, visiting Moki Dugway, Muley Point, Goosenecks and driving through Valley of the Gods. Where can we buy food in the area for lunch?

Our final destination is Cortez. Thanking you in advance.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Valley of the gods area?

I'm sure Kayenta has food options, there are a couple of restaurants in Mexican Hat.

But you will not have visited any of the places you mentioned until after Mexican Hat.

After Mexican Hat you could go to Goosenecks, then up Moki Dugway over to Muley Point, back down Moki Dugway and around Valley of the Gods then over to Bluff.

Bluff has a couple of restaurants and gas stations with food.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Valley of the gods area?

Thanks Kbecjeans. I had anticipated it would be around 1.30-2pm before we complete the Valley of the Gods road(having visited the afore mentioned stops). That means it will be 2-2.30 before we have lunch. Given we are planning to leave Kayenta around 7.30 I wanted to find out if there was anywhere we could pick up sandwiches or similar to munch on while checking out the view. By 2.30 I would be ravenous.

sangio2006
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Valley of the gods area?

Hi Julie:

We did something similar in early 2008.

The San Juan Inn in Mezican Hat has a decent restaurant that opens at 7:00 AM. I'm sure they would make you some sandwiches for take away.

From Mexixan Hat, it's a short drive to the Goosenecks. From there you can drive up the Moki Dugway and on to Muley Point.

Then, come back down the Dugway, and turn left on to Valley of the Gods road just below the Dugway.

This will take you to Hwy 163 and you can continue on to Cortez.

If you don't mind a longer driving day, I would suggest the following itinerary:

After Goosenecks, drive back to Hwy 163, turn left (north) then take the gravel road west into the Valley of the Gods. The counterclockwise drive will give you better light in the morning. This drive through VOTG will take between one and two hours, depending on how ofter you stop. We took two hours. The road will end back on Hwy 261, just below the Moki Dugway.

Turn right and drive up the Moki Dugway. It's worth stopping at the top to take a look around.

From there, you can drive to Muley Point.

From the top of the Dugway, you're only about 30 minutes from Natural Bridges state park, and it would be a shame to miss this since you're so close.

Watch out for cows wandering across the highway.

From Natural Bridges, take Hwy 95 east to Hwy 191 just outside Blanding. You can find restaurants there as well.

From Blanding, you can continue north to Monticello, then east on Hwy 491 to Cortez.

It's a long day, and you'll arrive in Cortez well after dark; but it's feasible if you get an early start and don't linger too long in any one spot.

If it were my trip, I would be tempted to spend the night in Blanding or Monticello, before going on the Mesa Verde in the morning .... I assume that's why you're going to Cortez?

Have a great trip.

regards

Sangio

4. Re: Food Valley of the gods area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 08:23